Restore spring on pull start?

I have a generator with a backup pull start in case the electric start fails. I tried it and promptly broke the pull rope. I removed the cover (housing) and removed the rope, then replaced it with new rope. Now there is no tension when I pull the rope. If I pull the rope it just pulls out and stays out.

Obviously, I didn't wind the new rope right or I 'sprung' the mechanism or something. I'm wondering if someone can describe to me what I might try. Probably not - but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

Jethro

Reply to
Jethro

Do a Google search for "recoil starter repair" or "pull starter repair" and you'll find all the info you'll need.

Reply to
Grandpa

Well - I tried that and don't see anything very useful to me. My engine is a Chonqing Weima 420CC. It is on a 9000W gas-powered generator I bought at Pep Boys. I searched the Weima web sites hoping for schematic(s) or instructions, but found nothing. I have the recoil starter pull-rope mechanism in my hands as we speak, but can find no way to put tension of the thing now that I have replaced the broken pull-rope. If I could just do that, I think the thing would work. I figure when the pull-rope broke, the spring mechanism might have 'unsprung', but I don't really know. I didn't hear any 'boingg'.

Thanks

Jethro

Reply to
Jethro

When you broke the rope, the spring "unwound" since there was nothing to stop it (the handle). You'll have to rewind the spring in order to get the tension back. See if this site helps:

Grandpa

I agree. But I can't find a way to 'rewind' the spring to restore the tension. I'll look at the following URL tomorrow AM to see if anything there will help. Thanks. Jethro.

Reply to
Jethro

What I usually do is rotate the rope reel by hand in the direction pulling rope moves it. I put in enough turns to reel all the rope back in when in use, and a little bit more.

(If you can't feel the spring winding up when you try and do that, then the spring is broken or has come unfastened and you'll have to dig deeper to replace or hook it back up.)

I clamp or jam something in to keep the reel in that position and then thread the rope through it's guide and the hole in the reel, then tie the knot to keep it there and release the reel, which then winds up the rope. A piece of wire hooked through the end of the rope and used as a "needle" can make the threading through the reel hole go easier.

If your unit will accept that approach, use it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

You need to find out why the spring is not engaged with the pulley. If you turn the pulley in the direction it would be pulled, it should start to wind up the spring. Once the spring is connected to the pulley, you wind the rope around the pulley. Then you pull out some rope as you would if you were pulling it. And then you hold the pulley from going back and wrap one turn of rope around the pulley again. That creates one pully turn worth of tension on the rope, so that it's held it a bit, instead of hanging out loose.

Reply to
trader4

Thanks all -

I agree that the spring is not engaging with the pulley for some reason. Just maybe it broke when the rope broke. I hope not. I plan now to look at the URL mentioned in earlier post and will call the company to see what they can offer for help. That may turn out to be fruitless.

Jethro

Reply to
Jethro

Well - I looked at the site, and printed the 2 pages. Read and re-read them. The pull starter pictured is a lot like mine. I am concluding that somehow my spring should be engaging, but is not. I can remove the spring housing that is held in place by a single hex bolt, centered. But when I do that, I can feel the housing wanting to jump out due to tension - so I figure that there is tension there, and that the problem is the failure to engage somewhere. I really worry that if I try to completely remove the retention bolt, the thing will explode and become an non-storable mess - at least to me. So right not I am just sitting here looking at it.

Oh well........

Thanks for helps

Jethro

Reply to
Jethro

Do you have a local lawnmower or power-equipment shop that does repairs?

I bet if you took the pull-starter assembly to them they could probably take care of it in 10 minutes.

Eric Law

Reply to
Eric

care of it in 10 minutes.

I probably will have to do just that. Thanks for suggestion.

Jethro

Reply to
Jethro

You have to wind up the spring. Take the cover off. There will be a notch in the back of the rope spool. Line that notch up with where the rope goes through the cover. Make a hook from a piece of wire and pull a loop of rope through this hole. Hook the rope in the notch. Using the rope, turn the pulley in the direction that the spool turned when you pulled the rope. Do this several times. Hold the spool, and feed the rope back out through the hole. Let the spool go. If it doesn't wind up good enough, add a few more turns to the spring.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Look for the small balls (about 1/4"); they are part of the locking mechanism.

The raceways in which they ride is full of dirt. Clean it out and add a few drops of oil.

Reply to
HeyBub

"Jethro"

More than one guy has lost an eye due to those things - be sure to wear eye protection and wrap it in a towel if you are going to play with it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

The generator ?distributor? in Illinois has agreed to send me a new pull start housing. So I guess I won't try to take mine apart, unless I get curious.

Thanks all

Jethro

Reply to
Jethro

A web-wide search or only the Wiema site?

They're all the same, basically. No need to stick to the maker's site.

Reply to
mm