"Resolution" with AHS on new central AC

Hi folks-
This is hopefully my final post on the continuing saga of my interactions with AHS regarding my now-defunct 35 year old central AC.
Unlike the first hack they sent out, this AHS-sponsored tech was professional: called before he came out (early!), wore a uniform, drove a truck with HVAC license numbers...
Two minutes into the inspection, he agreed with my own prefered contractor that the compressor was shot and the condensor unit as a whole would need to be swapped out. Agreed that AHS would require crappy components be installed, and that there would be some delay while they are shipped. He said he could have AHS do a "cash out" in lieu of repair. He thought I would get ~$900; after we spoke to AHS it turns out they only will cash me out at $554. What a ripoff.
According to them, the labor they would pay this guy is ~$300, and the parts / tax just a bit more than $250. I asked them, "I know you get a volume discount and use bottom-of-the-line parts, but $250 for a condensor, refrigerant, etc.?" The nice lady on the other end said, "Yes, that's what it costs us."
I have no way to dispute this, without involving legal assistance that would be more expensive than the money involved.
So, I told her to send me my check for $554. A few minutes later, I had scheduled the installation of a whole new higher-efficiency system, by a really professional group, that I'm confident will do a first-rate job and stand behind it.
All told, the new system will cost me about $2200 plus my $554. Sigh. I'm out more than two grand, but at least I know I'm going to have a great, reliable, efficient system.
Was the home warranty worth it? Well, this year it cost me $435 to have the warranty. Given that I had a $50 visit fee to pay the AHS guy, I guess it adds up to $69 in my favor, presuming no other claims this year. Historically, over 4 years, I'm about $500 ahead, but only because AHS took a big hit when they had to swap out my furnace and couldn't wiggle out of it.
Dealing with the warranty companies involves aggravation and hassle versus using local trusted contractors, and it's hard to put a
Next summer, when my AHS warranty comes up for renewal, I'll laugh, and pitch the form into the trash. My opinion is that a home warranty made sense when I was a young (poorer) first time home buyer, but that going forward it makes more sense to bank that money yearly in expectation of the occasional repairs needed, and be able to use it to immediately call local, well-respected pros in.
Thanks to the group for your support. I would be interested to know just what sort of discount AHS gets from equipment providers to be able to replace a condensor (not just the compressor!) for $250 worth of pars.... Yes, I got screwed. But rather than fight it, I'm accepting that I'm ahead for the year, if just barely, and moving on with a happy life.
Marc
Doing a quick search on google for American Home Shield revealed this (posted in 1998):
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&selm=8UO32.279%24Sz4.155010%40news.teleport.com
So, you may get more money iff you're willing to be frustrated by the process.
- Scott
43.usenet.us.com says...

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&selm=8UO32.279%24Sz4.155010%40news.teleport.com
stubborn about the process; I might have gotten an extra $1500 or so.
On the other hand, I got so frustrated and annoyed over the last week that I'm frankly glad to be done with them.
Install is scheduled for Thursday. Cool air a-coming!
:-)
Marc

0news.teleport.com
This is Turtle.
So now when somebody tells you these words you will understand them. Awwwww , Leave them AHS people alone.
TURTLE
Also found this site:
http://www.syix.com/emu/index.html
AHS parent company is ServiceMaster. The following URL lists all its subsidiaries.
http://www.syix.com/emu/html/svm.html
From that homeowner's experience with Terminix (one of ServiceMaster's subsidiary) and other bad experiences with AHS, you may want to print out the list of subsidiary companies and paste it next to your home phone to reference before phoning for service.
- Scott

I sued my warranty co in small claims and got a $1600 settlement. Took quite a while, I admit. Big help was having atty friends who assisted on filing.

board. Actually my sister in law is one, but she lives in another state and her specialty is art law. Sigh.
Marc