Residual caulk

I installed a new Vinyl double hung window. After i caulked around the window,the next day i noticed residual caulking smeared past the caulk joint. I tried to clean it off with a Razor scraper,but the blade kept digging into the vinyl & would not let me scrape it off. Any suggestions how to remove the excess caulk?

Reply to
desgnr

I'm curious, did the manufacturer recommend caulking vinyl? Lou

Reply to
Lou

If the residue is very thin and the surface flat, a plastic scraper probably would work. Make sure the edge is perfectly smoothe.

Reply to
Norminn

Lou,

How would you seal the gap between the window and the rough opening without caulk? Caulk, both inside and out, serves to create a dead-air space around the window, which is a great insulator.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Best done at the time of application. But too late for that now.

Try using a wood shim or the plastic putty knife suggested by another poster. A wood shim has worked better for me.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

"desgnr" wrote in news:gbglo2$tpd$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Not sure what kind of caulk you used. If it's silicone on vinyl and since it's only 1-2 windows you may be able to just dry rub it off.

If it's on the second floor and you can still see the oops, maybe consider taping next time :-)

Reply to
Red Green

Don't know how it will work with the caulk you used, but you might want to try 3M Caulk remover.

Boden

Reply to
Boden

Tear the house down. The caulk will be gone. You are due for a new house anyhow. Your old one is about to collapse because its not strong enough to handle the weight of your obese wife.

James W. Hernandez

Reply to
jshernandez