Residential Natural Gas Detectors ?

Hello:

For a house that has natural gas for heating, as well as the cook stove:

Was wondering if there are natural gas detectors (guess it's Methane) one can perhaps place in the basement near the furnace, such as there are for CO detectors ?

Probably as worried about a natural gas leak as I am concerned about the possibility of excess CO.

Looked on the web, but could only find a model made by: Safe-T-Alert (40-411) who I have never heard of. Any good ?

Does Kidde or First Alert make these also ?

Any thoughts and opinions on these types of detectors, assuming they exist, would be most appreciated.

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Robert11

There is a big difference between the two though. Natural gas has an odor, your nose will easily detect it. CO has no odor and just sneaks up on you .

If you buy a methane detector, don't mount it near the bathroom :)

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Natural gas has an oder added to it so you can smell it. It is also lighter than air so it will rise. Propane gas is heaver so it will collect in the lower areas of your house.

Here is one to check out. I don't know anything about the company or product, just did a search for the gas detectors.

Where I work I calibrate some portable detectors that check for various gases. The LEL is where the gas will burn or explode. The warnings the alarms are set for are from 10 to 25 % of that level.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Just my two cents, I've had kidde's dual sensing(gas and co) detector for years. I keep it near my basement(unfinished), since it will concentrate on the only gas appliance that operates when we are asleep, the furnace. I like it, and like a good smoke detector, it's more a peace of mind, and I hope it never actually is needed.

later,

tom

Reply to
tom

Slight correction: Natural gas is odorless in its natural state. Mercaptan is what you smell and is added to the gas as a built-in "leak detector."

Reply to
JerryMouse

Night hawk at any box store and Ace. Co and Nat gas in one unit apx 50$

Reply to
m Ransley