Residential HVAC contractor recommendation in Houston, TX?

I've just moved into an older 1800 sqft home (built in '52) - the HVAC system was replaced in '98, but it looks like there is a 1.5 ton difference between the compressor and the evaporator (3.5 ton v 5 ton). There are some other issues with the system (questionable duct work, no vents in the bathrooms, poor insulation, etc.) - I'm looking for any recommendations on good, reputable HVAC contractors to get recommendations for repairs/improvements and estimates for the work.

Does anyone have any recommendations for HVAC contractors in the Houston,TX area?

Thanks

torqued713 at hotmail dot com

Reply to
Torqued

This is Turtle.

Torqued , ere is some ideals but may not be of much use because of what you described.

1) Most all professional HVAC contractor will very rarely recommend another contractor. in my case i have a policy of not recommending no one and this goes for me to. i don't even recommend myself. If you want me to look at your system. call me and if not have a nice day.

2) By what you have say here in the post you have a mess and for a hvac contractor to seperate it out over the internet would be a 8 th Wonder of the world. You have a mismatched tonage system, poor ductwork, poor insulation, no ducts in bathroom [ we don't do that for certain reasons] , and you want a summation of the corrections to be done from start to finish and I / We can't see it at all and only have you to describe what we should be looking at. I / We are good but there is limits of most HVAC peoples ability.

3) I would try to find me a good reliable hvac company and have them go over the system to see what you have wrong first and then type do something about it. Call all your kind folks and find out who does the hvac work for the church you attend. Try to pick from these to get a good one to just come see what you can do with what you got now or replace the whole mess.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

(Snipped for content)

I find this mildly interesting. In our contracting and rental end, if someone's calls us and we cannot handle the job or its not our cup or tea, we won't hesitate to give a list a people who could handle the job. We won't necessarily give glowing recommendations, just a referral on who to call to possible solve the problem.

Can you elaborate on the bathroom duct issue? Is it because of mold build up? I assume you should always have a vent in the bathroom and not have a return air duct, but no HVAC supply duct? Sorry if its a stupid question.

And as a secondary question, if you do have a supply duct in the bathroom, should it be cleaned with a diluted bleach solution periodically?

Have a nice one Turtle man.

BOB

Reply to
BOB URZ

Bob:

There are *no* ducts in either of the bathrooms - no supply duct(s) nor any exhaust fan/duct. There is also an old, wall-mounted, gas heater in each of the bathrooms that we need removed and the gas lines capped..

As you can see.. we have quite the laundry list of things we want to fix and are looking for a reputable HVAC contractor that we can build a "relationship" with to get these issues fixed over time.

Reply to
Torqued

Call the local wholesale supply houses and ask them "who's the best tech/installer you got?" (who would they call to have the work done in their family's home?) also ask friends, neighbors, family, in-laws, out-laws, etc who they use...and if they have had any bad experiences with other companies. This should give you a laundry list of who *not* to use and a copule of good ones to call.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Responded via private e-mail

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

This is Turtle.

You need to look at what Steve Nunn's said here for he said what i was about to say or close and i can only say one other thing. Add in calling the church of your choise to ask who does their work and put them on the list.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE