residential construction costs on Houston's west side (per square foot)

I have not gotten hold of a reference book (I know of this one-- "Contractor's Pricing Guide 2006: Means Residential Square Foot Costs" that I'm looking for) that supposedly answers my question so I'm asking here for the time being.

I'd like to know if anyone can tell me the current cost of residential construction per square foot for a one and two story home on the far west side of Houston, Texas? I had heard last year (word of mouth from a realtor) that it was $65 to $70 per square foot for a two story tho I didn't verify it from other sources. And I presume that figure also includes the land? I want to know this for estimating my replacement cost for my homeowner's insurance policy rather than just accept their numbers.

If I need to furnish any other info which I may have omitted to answer this, just let me know. If it matters, I live in a 2 story above average quality home. thanks in advance.

Reply to
Samuel

Hi, Isn't there such a policy? Current value replacement? On this they will pay whatever it will cost when house is rebuilt. Same with house contents.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

He may have replacement cost but I think it's benchmarked on the insured value he establishes his house at? That is the reason for his post I believe. ie: lets say he insures his house for $100,000 so the replacement cost insurance rider might pay a limit (probably using a percentage) over that $100,000. Now lets say his house is really worth or cost $300,000 and he insures it for $100,000. I don't expect the replacement cost rider to make that difference up because if it did, everyone would want to under insure their house with that rider.

Reply to
mad hatterĀ®

Construction cost does NOT include land. Local contractors can be more accurate, but anything less than $100 sounds cheap today. Of course, a well equipped home with better material can double that.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

$65 to $70 a square sounds more like a small, perhaps starter home with next to no frills in it whatsoever. if you look at new construction from several builders in the greater Houston are, their posted prices range somewhat depending on the neighborhood they build in (land costs and how much they think their likely buyers can afford the 'extras' , but generally, closer to $100 per square than $65 per square.

Reply to
Robert Gammon