Residential Building Codes

Anyone familiar with residential building codes for Monroe/Wayne County, NY? I need to check how big the ceiling joists should be. I've heard from people at Lowe's and Home Depot that they need to be at least 2x6. I was up there installing a couple of bathroom exhaust fans and they are 2x4s...

MC

Reply to
MC

I suspect these are not joists, they are the bottom chord of manufactured trusses. Are there "W" shaped 2x4s (or similar triangle shapes) connecting the bottom and top members? If so these are trusses engineered for your application. They do have a limited load carrying ability on the bottom chord, typically a couple PSF. It is usually just enough to carry the drywall, insulation and occasional entry by a worker. They are not intended for storing heavy stuff in the attic.

Reply to
Greg

Yes, you're right. All of them (including top and bottom) are 2x4s.

Reply to
MC

Yes, your building inspector.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Just don't step through the ceiling. Some people make a 'catwalk', with boards or a heavy enough plywood cut at

16" so as to get three strips per sheet. That goes along the trusses to allow movement from one end to the other. If you decide to do it, and plan to add more insulation later, I suggest 2x4 or 2x6 spacers. Put some lights up there too.

manufactured

Reply to
Michael Baugh

There are no building codes in Wayne County.

About 10 years ago I looked at a new house at East Bay. It was framed with

2x4s. I asked the realtor about it, but she just shrugged. I called the building inspector because it obviously didn't have enough insulation. He was unaware there was a state requirement for minumum insulation.
Reply to
toller

You should be OK working in the attic as long as you stay on the 2x4s. People have been storing things in the attic with no ill effects for decades too, although trusses were not designed for it. Putting plywood down actually helps that since you are spreading the load out but if you do get it too heavy you will see stress cracks in your ceiling drywall. Interior walls are generally not designed to be load bearing in a "truss house" but they do tend to carry some of the load so bear that in mind if you do store things in the attic. Just limit yourself to light items like christmas ornaments, not your rock collection. ;-)

Reply to
Greg

There are ways to frame with 2 x 4 and get the insulation required. Thee are many forms of insulation available both to go between the studs and to go on the sheathing. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You need to ask your local building inspector, NOT the flunkies down at Lowes or Home Depot...

IF those people knew what they were doing, they would NOT be working retail....and THAT is a fact.

Reply to
CBHVAC

Yes, but that requirement is met when you frame with 2x4's and the exterior is sided with foam panels before the vinyl siding is hung... making for yet another glorious typical McTupperware Mansion...

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here