reseting GE cooker?

I have a GE profile cooker on which the igniters suddenly stopped working

I tried to restart it a few times and the grill igniter suddenly started working again. It now works fine.

Does anyone know how to get the oven igniter to restart working please? It wont turn on at all

Reply to
DManzaluni

What is a GE profile cooker? Not everyone shops where you do.

Reply to
mm

Whats a cooker, I thought a crock pot till you indicated gas, if its a gas 4 burner stove I use a wire brush to clean the ignitors on my stove.

Reply to
ransley

Sorry about that: It is a large home appliance with 4 (round) gas surfaces on the top to heat pots or pans I think that bit is called a range though I have heard the whole thing referred to as a range, which I thought confusing. Which is why I called it a cooker and thought that people would realise by the reference to grill igniters and ovens not working what I was talking about.

Underneath there is an oven which has two trays in it which go from side to side to put things like chickens or beef or indeed fish on. The oven heats up the food inside it by tw menthods: It either uses a grill at the top under which you put the grub or an element of some type under the lower surface which heats up the whole oven to maintain an even tempertature. Either seem to use an igniter to which I referred in my OP . Both igniters (they used to be called pilot lights when they were actual flames) went out at once and the grill one seems to have reset itself. My problem is that the oven one doesn't now turn on at all.. There is of course a 50/50 chance that the oven igniter needs replacement but as they both went out at once and one then started working again, I figured this is slightly less likely.

The whole is controlled by an LED panel at the front surface (to the right of 4 round knobs which control the top gas 'burners') which shows mode, temperature, grill on/off etc. There is also a self- cleaning function.

There is also a drawer underneath but I don't think it does anything besides holding roasting pans: It doesn't ever seem to have acted as a warmer drawer.

(Where I come from, this whole appliance is called a stove but I didnt want to use that term as i hadn't heard any one use it for years)

Reply to
DManzaluni

They are most commonly called ranges today, but the term stove is still used and most people would know what you were talking about. As to your problem, I can't help. On the ranges I've seen there is no reset for the igniters. They either work or they don't.

Try googling "bad oven igniter" or "replacing ge profile oven igniter or similar.

Reply to
trader4

Most gas ovens use a ceramic heating element. When electricity passes through it, it heats up and changes the resistance, allowing voltage to open a gas solenoid when the element is hot enough to ignite the burner. I would look on the GE site for the service manual and see where the breakers are. If the breakers/fuses are okay, then the problem is either the oven controller, the wiring or the igniter. If the oven controller, be prepared to lay out some dollars/pounds/euros/ yen. An alternative would be to check the resistance of the ceramic elements. They can go intermittent if they are cracked. The top igniter controls the broiler and only comes on when set to broil. The bottom one is usually easily accessed by lifting out the floor of the oven. A properly working igniter will light up the bottom of the oven when it is starting. If I understood your post correctly, the top igniter works, but not the bottom. If this is the case, you might be able to carefully swap them and see if the problem travels with the igniter.

A trip to the library for a copy of poputar digest's book of how to fix anything will walk you through the steps to troubleshoot the oven.

Reply to
WannabeChef

Thank you for that very full response: The current problem is that GE apparently wants everyone to buy new products rather than repair their own. Or at the least make the profit out of their repair centres which they would have made on the new purchase. You used to be able to call

626 2000 and be told how to fix any GE product within reason. Now they don't even bother to listen to the problem, they rush you off the phone with a reference to some 800 number to call out a repairer. Apparently the igniter costs about $18. A call out will cost a few hundred by the time it is over!

I have seen the upper igniter in action and that is exactly how it works: I wonder how I can figure out how to switch the igniters? The lower cover seems to be held in with 6 or 8 screws but apparently you have to move this GAS cooker forward to get at the other end of the wires to the igniter?? (which in my case is a bit difficult)

Reply to
DManzaluni

Most of the wires to the ignitors are actually pretty short.- take a look at the illustrations on

. There are also several articles on this site that tell you how to check the various components as well. The igniters appear to be usable in both positions. You may be able to just pull up on the bottom / floor of the oven and get easy access to the burner and igniter.

Reply to
WannabeChef