RESET Button Vanished on GFI

This sure is a puzzler. I have a GFI where the reset button popped out of the outlet and its gone. I'm sure it will someday appear in the broom or vacuum bag, but thats not the problem.
The problem is why did it blow out of the GFI? The GFI will no longer work. I did try to reset it using a screwdriver inside the hole, but no luck.
Has anyone else ever had this happen? My only thought is that lightning zapped the line...
This is really weird.
Mark
This sure is a puzzler. I have a GFI where the reset button popped out of the outlet and its gone. I'm sure it will someday appear in the broom or vacuum bag, but thats not the problem.
The problem is why did it blow out of the GFI? The GFI will no longer work. I did try to reset it using a screwdriver inside the hole, but no luck.
Has anyone else ever had this happen? My only thought is that lightning zapped the line...
This is really weird.
Mark
____________________________________________________________ So, whatever happened, just go buy a new recepticle and be done with it. Why do you need help with this?

I dont need HELP. I know how to replace it, and plan to buy a new one today. I am just wondering if anyone knows WHY the button would blow off the thing. Maybe this happened to someone else????? Otherwise it was just a defect, but it still seems rather odd. If it just fell off, it would be beneath the outlet, and it isn't, and considering I can not reset the thing, (using a tool), it appears that an electrical incident occurred. This happened when the outlet was NOT in use. This outlet is also directly beneath my breaker box (3 feet away) so I suspect a lightning surge as a possibility.
Mark
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Hello,
Untill you get a better answer, maybe this just means: re-set buttons work. Since you donot know what caused it, just put in a new one for now, and if it happens again, do some testing of your system. Youare right. There is a lot of power being exhibited, unless it just finally wore out etc.
It wasn't lightning. It would do more than trip a GFI. For example, it might blow out your light bulbs. It was just a manufacturing error that was going to pop out one of these days when the GFI tripped. As for why the GFI tripped, I have no idea. Sometimes they just trip because they want to.
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Somebody whacked it, or there was a manufacturing defect.

GFIs are very selfish, and often do whatever they want.
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com writes:

Isn't the more likely answer just that there was a mechanical defect (or old age) that led to the button popping off. Also, there are springs in these buttons, so maybe it popped off with some force and rolled out of sight. Lightening (without any other evidence of such a hit) would be one of the last things I would suspect.
What do you expect from a $10 device...
That's one of several ways that a GFCI tells you than it's DEAD, DEAD, DEAD.
Replace it!
On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 00:46:14 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Very weird. I guess the GFCI wanted to make sure it was off line. Suicide? Well sounds like time for a professional to install a new one, becareful.
later,
tom @ www.FreeWorkAtHomeIdeas.com
On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 00:46:14 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

I've not seen that with a GFCI, but I have seen it a lot with other things. These little bits of plastic move as fast as fleas. They just seem to disappear, and may never be seen again.

Mark Lloyd