Reservoir project

I am creating a reservoir for water from my sump pump. I have the 6' hole dug, and I laid the concrete footer. I am about to lay the blocks for the walls now. My question is about pipping through the walls. For the outlet pipe which will be on the bottom of the reservoir, should I run a 3" PVC pipe through a hold I cut in a cinder block at the bottom and let the vertical rise occur in the dirt outside of the reservoir? Or should I let the pipe go up on the inside of the wall and out the top of the reservoir, and forget cutting a hole in the concrete block?

I will have a 4" intake and a 4" overflow on the opposite side of the reservoir which will be holes in the concrete blocks near the top.

Thanks for the tips.

CL

Reply to
CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert

On Aug 25, 4:10=A0pm, "CL \\"dnoyeB\\" Gilbert" wrote: =2E..should I run a 3" PVC

If you have the space, my opinion is to do it inside the enclosure, so you can always observe/inspect/repair the pipe if needed. Is this exposed to freeze/thaw? Careful to allow for positive drainage and keep insulated/heated, especially if your setup includes a checkvalve.

Reply to
millinghill

How are you sealing the reservoir? Neither cinder block nor concrete are waterproof.

Reply to
Bob F

Thanks, thats a good point. I will put it inside and strap it to the blocks. This is exposed to freeze/thaw as it is in Michigan and only about

6' deep. Another 6" and I would have hit some really damp sandy soil too.

However, this will only be in use in Summer months for watering the grass. In the winter it will be bypassed.

Oh, and the filter has essentially a foot valve in it.

CL

Reply to
CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert

Damtite.