Reserved slots in panel?

Hi,
My panel has two open breaker slots opposite of the main 100Amp breaker? At the same time my panel has a bunch of twins. Are those two spots reserved for some reason?
Thanks!
Aaron

on my old panel the main was too large to allow their use

Remove the panel cover and see if there are open bus bar slots available. I'm thinking that those knockouts are not available circuit breaker slots.

I did and there are slots. However, when a contractor was working on my bathroom recently, he chose to twin other breakers, rather than touch that slot.

I did and there are slots. However, when a contractor was working on my bathroom recently, he chose to twin other breakers, rather than touch that slot.
Call him up and ask him why he chose the twins over two new full size breakers. He may have been trying to keep that space open for a future two pole breaker.
Aaron Fude wrote:

There should be a capacity chart on the box cover inside -- it'll tell you of any limitations of the manufacturer.

I took a picture of what it looks like and you can see it here:
http://freeboundaries.com/master.jpg
I doubt if my contractor did anything out of consideration :)
Hi,
Does it look in the picture like the slots are unuable?
Thanks!
Aaron
Sorry, forgot to include the image:
http://freeboundaries.com/master.jpg
Aaron Fude wrote:

Why is there a bolt holding the main breakers in place? I'd guess they are the wrong type, or maybe they are physically broken and won't stay in place by themselves?
Tony
On Sat, 31 May 2008 22:40:53 -0400, Tony Miklos

You are required by code to have a retaining device on any backfed breaker.
So do you think I can try to put a breaker opposite the master?
Aaron Fude wrote:

Don't see from that any reason they couldn't be used -- I'm confident the particular arrangement was used to isolate the Main feed breaker from the fed circuits simply for the visual cue and a (very) slight gain in functional resemblance to a regular panel w/ a separate main feed breaker. I hate these cheaper box designs personally...
That is simply from the picture which, of course, isn't definitive and isn't what I suggested previously -- the documentation sticker on the inside of the cover or that was included w/ the box will have any such restrictions. If that is no longer there, look the box up on the manufacturer's web site...
I _think_ it is simply a cosmetic arrangement as above mentions, but you should check the source for sure. Don't see why that should be much effort.