Reseating Tool

Has anyone here ever used one of these? I have a really corroded seat. Is there a limit to how much you can reseat before the washer doesn't connect?

Reply to
Adam Kubias

I have one that I used on the hot water side for the tub and I had to add some thin brass washers to compensate for the metal removed from the valve seat. It will all depend on the design of your faucet as to what steps you must take if any to compensate. I have replaced valve seats that were pitted in faucets but they were the type that allowed the use of a large hex wrench to remove them. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I got a nice swivel office seat for about $15 at Walmart, when my seat corroded. Didn't do much with the old seat.

No, it can still touch the washer, but it's usually in the living room.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The seat won't unscrew. It's an older model I guess. I will try adding a brass washer. Did you add it under the screw and rubber washer?

Reply to
Adam Kubias

Does it have a screwdriver slot in it? If so, trying to tighten it first may help. Warming it with a propane torch flame may help. Others know better than I. On some things I've had great results with an impact driver, but I'd be unwilling to use that on a water pipe.

Reply to
micky

Adam: Would you get a better seal if you used a beveled washer instead of a flat washer?

Before you do anything to that seat, contact these people to see if they have replacement seats"

'Kissler | Plumbing Repair Parts'

Kissler & Company is a plumbing supply store that specializes in older and obsolete plumbing parts. They even have their own machine shop where they make parts out of brass that there's still a demand for, but no one else makes. If you know what make and style of faucet you have, there's a good chance Kissler & Co. sells the seats for it. Maybe take a picture of the faucet handles so that they might be better able to identify it.

Now, Kissler & Company has a $500 minimum order, but their accounts department should be able to tell you which stores they ship to in your area on a regular basis, and you could simply order the seats through that store so they come in with the next shipment.

I thought I should mention Kissler to you so that if you haven't tried them, you could check to see if they sell the seats for this faucet. Also, if you can download their faucet parts catalogue and identify the kind of cartridges your faucet uses, that would also help them determine what kind of seats are in your faucet.

Reply to
nestork

You can do that but if you have a washer replacement kit, look for a longer screw in it and if necessary, you can shorten it by using the screw shear built into most wire stripper/crimp tools which will cut off part of the screw without damaging the threads. All those gray metal compartmentalized parts drawers you see at the hardware store come n very handy when you want to repair your stuff rather than replace it. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Do you mean for a motor engine, a faucet, or what?

I tried one once for a faucet. I didn't look for cheap but the tool seemed cheap. IIRC it didn't work, but aiui, they do.

Reply to
micky

Computer, in the office. The rolling chair is corroded, and need another office chair.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon