reroofing cost estimate

Anyone have any thoughts on the cost of reroofing in order to evaluate some estimates? In New England.
Currently I need to have new roofing 21 x 21 hip roof garage which needs new shingles.
Remove old stuff, 30 yr shingles, new roofing paper, new drip caps.

Your particular choices can have a 20% or greater effect on the price, and much more than that if you choose an expensive shingle. There's a factor of 5 in the range of shingle prices.
Such choices as felt weight, whether you replace the drip edge & step flashing, whether you add stain guard, whether you have ridge vents, the quality of vent flashing & roof jacks. In Texas, if you want the roofer to carry workman's comp on his workers it will increase the cost of labor a lot.
If the decking under the roof is in bad shape it can have a big effect on cost -- the price of plywood just shot up after the hurricane.
jim
Oh yes, I'm in Houston. My bids averaged about $150 a square (100 sq-ft). Eighteen months ago a similar house across the street cost 20% less than the bid I got last week from the same roofer.
jim
Jim didn't archive but said: "Oh yes, I'm in Houston. My bids averaged about $150 a square (100 sq-ft)." Houston's cheap! Tom
I just got a bid for a new roof, tear off, replacing 2 sheets of plywood, new drip edge, ridge vent of $300 a square (15 sq for a total of $4500). Located in upstate NY (between Buffalo and Rochester)
Getting more bids this week.
On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 21:03:02 -0500, jim evans

I should have mentioned. My roof is as simple as they get. Shallow pitch, gable, no valleys, no ice dams in Houston.
wrote:

jim
Mine too, (simple that is). I do need ice damn protection underlayment, but other than that a fairly straight forward roof.
Tony
On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 21:19:14 -0500, jim evans

John W Gintell wrote:

http://www.improvenet.com/HomeOwner/ProjectTools/estimators/roofing/re_index.html

http://www.improvenet.com/HomeOwner/ProjectTools/estimators/roofing/re_index.html
And the estimate I just got was 20% under the lowest estimate I got for a re-roofing job last year.
JA wrote:

Then you're a helluva long way from CA.

Huh? Let me try again: The estimate I got using the improvenet.com estimator was 20% lower than the lowest actual estimate that I got a little over a year ago when I was having my roof done. I'm on the east coast. Don't know about California, but if you think the improvenet.com estimator is going to give you an accurate figure, you may be in for an unpleasant surprise.

Just this past week I got 4 estimates to reroof my house. When I saw this thread I went to the website and entered my data. It didn't have an option that gave my roof area, but when I took the nearest result and ratioed it to my roof area the range it gave was about 10% higher than the range of my actual bids.
jim

I also went to the site after reading this post. After modifying the roof square footage to allow for porches, detached garage and the total liner feet of gutters (must be used for drip edge calculations) the estimator said $4,255 to $5,319. I signed a contract for $4600 and me to furnish all 1X lumber needed for decking repair. All other materials and trash removal are to be provided by him. Labor for the decking is included unless there is an excessive amount. The roofer knows up front that the first board all around the house must be replaced (about 140 liner feet) and has never charged extra for decking replacement unless it has been real bad.
This is a person I have dealt with for many years and I did not bother with a second estimate. I do keep tabs on what others are paying and I am aware of pricing in the area. I would guess the actual range for the work to be done to be between $4200 and $6500.
Overall I would say the estimator is pretty close. A few more inputs fields would make it more accurate if the average user was knowledgeable enough to use them.
Things like: the number of layers to be removed. flashing for a chimney, a shed addition or a porch. (I have all 3) partial decking replacement.
Colbyt
message

I agree. The price I paid in July fell into the range given by the estimator. I am in South Jersey. (USA)

I just paid $63,000 for 68 square, but that includes tearoff of 3 layers, some decking and scaffolding as it was a very high roof.
Yours is a simple job so ask the neighbors who they used and if they were happy with the results.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

R U sure 'bout that figure?

Yep, the invoice is on my desk. This was on a three story building. The figure I gave did not include other work for $23,000 on other flat sections. The crew worked on it over two weeks. This was the lowest of two bids. A few other roofers would not even attempt to quote the job let alone do it.

Thanks Edwin.
Your post greatly helped me get over "sticker shock" for a roofing contract I signed last night.
Colbyt