required clearance between fireplace double pipe and 2 x 4's??

fireplace has double pipe exhaust going straight up. Present construction has NOTHING near that pipe and the only place the pipe structure is touched [mounted] is a couple of places. one is the transition from room into attic. That transition is done with a square sheet flashing made for such. The wood surrounding only touches the outer edges of that flashing, about 1-2inches at the smallest. Round pipe through a square metal flashing section. and the flahsing has vertical metal pieces extending up/down approx 1.5 inches.
The question relates to the fact that I need to make a robust structure in that area and a 2x4 may be touching the double pipe's outside surface. Is that a good idea? [Poorly worded question garranteed to get the answer, no.] Does code allow it in most cases? Does safety dictate the 2x4's should be kept at least the distance from the outside of the pipe the same distance that the flashing provides, at the minimum separation?
RobertMacy wrote:

Are you sure that's double wall and not triple ? Is this a wood burner or gas log fireplace ? IIRC the triple requires like 6" clearance at the ceiling where it goes from single wall , double would be even more . I'll be installing a triple wall stack sometime this week for my wood burning stove , and there won't be any wood closer than 4" at any point .
--
Snag

Gas fireplace. From experience, wood burning is a LOT hotter!
Fireplace was installed by Contractor during new home construction. After their bankruptcy, can't locate Contractor to ask questions.
There is a two foot 'extension' inserted into the stack that does not match rest of fireplace and venting system. Venting system has very shiny surface finishes, looks like all came as a kit from fireplace [company also bankrupt]. The section was added because of the higher ceiling and was obviously purchased from standard outlets like HD or Lowes and has label 'double lined' or such. There is a UPC code label stuck on side of pipe.
Hmmmm. paper label stuck on side of pipe? Wonder if that should be removed before operation, or if that outside pipe surface really NEVER gets hot? If I hadn't torn out mantle walls, I would never have found paper label on side of pipe.
On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 9:55:19 AM UTC-5, Robert Macy wrote:

The common distance is 2 inches I believe. You can't have it contacting the wood framing. Everywhere I have seen it, it is hung with metal straps. And flashed around it like yours when it passes through fire barriers such as a room ceiling.

Thanks, that's about the distance at the minimal spot between the pipe and across the flashing.