Require Buildings to Habe "Odometers"

Cars have mileage counters and changing the total mileage on a used car is illegal. I believe one should be required to prominently display and disclose the age of a building to anyone renting an apartment, hotel room or buying a residence or other space. I also happen to believe disclosure is superior to regulation. The real estate profession managed to annihilate the appraisal profession a few years ago by getting permission to offer a market value opinion. Now the realtors are attempting to create a profession of undereducated building inspectors to push engineers out of this market. I have seen many contractors do a gut rehab of a building and offer it as brand new. Yet realtors manage to get grandfathered in getting regulations applied based on the oldest part of a building, even while they tell consumers the building is brand new. Therefore I believe it is in a consumer's interest to disclose the age of the oldest existing part of a building, much as a car's odometer reveals the true wear and tear of a car.
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:52:10 +0000 (UTC) " snipped-for-privacy@panix.com" used 17 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

<snip>
Troll Alert!
Newsgroups: sci.engr.civil,sci.engr.electrical.compliance,sci.engr, misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,alt.building.health-safety,misc.legal
--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
All stupid BS
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 04:19:19 -0600 "m Ransley" used 2 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

Why are you telling me that?
--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
If you go on your county's tax assessor web site you can get the entire history of any parcel. Their records are better than the ones at the building department in most places.

history
Glad your county is in to the 1990s. Around here, tax records are still rows of green cabinets and ledger cards. Sure, they have a computer system for internal use, <current> records only, but no web site portal or anything.
aem sends...

i agree with Ed....besides the buildings age is far from secret it is public record in your local clerk's office...