Repointing between cinder blocks

My 1968 ranch home is built on a slab. The bottom row of cinder blocks is half below soil level. The mortar between the blocks is deteriorating, and as I gouge it out it's wet even as far in as one inch from the exposed exterior face of the block. After repointing the joints, should I paint them with some kind of true waterproofing stuff? If so, what do you suggest using?
TIA
Ray
My 1968 ranch home is built on a slab. The bottom row of cinder blocks is half below soil (heavy, slow draining) level. The mortar between the blocks is deteriorating, and as I gouge it out it's wet even as far in as one inch from the exposed exterior face of the block.