repoinitng fireplace.

I have to do a bit of re-pointing in my fire place. Do I need to use a special cement?
Thanks
John
Just premixed brick and masonry mortar, but you''ll have to chisel out the bad joints, first, and pre-wet them for better adhesion. Repointing tool is helpful - looks sort of like a spoon, to spread the mortar.