REPLYING to Posts - Use R

Bill:
B > Some people on this group apparently have news readers which don't have a B > "Reply" button or they don't know how to use it. (Which automatically B > sticks Re: in the subject)
Just a comment (or two); not a complaint or anything vicious. I hit the "<R>eply" option on my reader and it does not put the "RE:" in. I will agree with not changing the subject to reply to a thread. Ideally a new thread should have a new subject as makes it easier for the original query to be followed separately
B > People post a message with a subject, then look for replies with that same B > subject name! If you change the name of the subject or don't place Re: B > before it, the poster may not know you are answering their question.
Agreed, except for the "RE:" part. My reader will allow me to retain the original poster's name in the TO: field; not sure if that field is retained throughout the distribution channels. I also generally use the poster's name in the salutation.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Penalty for private use.
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
JB> In my news reader using Re: sends a separate message unrelated to the threa, JB> so you wind up with an orphan posting. Joe:
Just tested here. Yes, your reply to Bob's initial post does not get 'reconnected', so it in an orphaned post. If I do a text search for the first few words in the subject I can manually reconnect.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Jewish C/W Song: "That Shiksa Done Made off with My Heart Like a Goniff"
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
Hi Dan!
DH> Jo wrote: DH> > barry, don't hit "reply"... hit "reply to newsgroup". none of your DH> > recent replies are associated with the message tou are replying to. what DH> > newsreader do you use? DH> DH> Hmm: DH> DH> >> --- DH> >> RoseReader 2.52 P003186 DH> >> The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971 DH> >> ---
DH> DH> Barry's reading through a news-to-QWK (BBS) gateway. It probably doesn't DH> support "reply to newsgroup", in that it doesn't keep track of the DH> "References" header. Thus, the broken replies (not to mention the DH> truncated "Subject" headers). DH> DH> Barry, is there any way you could move to a REAL newsreader, perhaps by DH> getting an account on a news server such as news.individual.net (what I DH> use)? I assume you have some level of web access. I'll consider that; right now a whole bunch of projects I consider a little more important. Not saying this nor your suggestion is not important.
Out of curiosity am wondering what sort of 'problems' and quirks other methods of access give? Thinking of WebTV; presume Yahoo!, Juno, etc., offer newsgroup access.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* What is a zebra? 25 sizes larger than an "A" bra.
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
<< Out of curiosity am wondering what sort of 'problems' and quirks other methods of access give? >>
For whatever perceived other faults it may have, the AOL Newsgroup reader has to be among the best IMO. Much easier to navigate and send properly threaded replys. Eliminates a lot of tedious scrolling. Give it a try...
Joe
barry, don't hit "reply"... hit "reply to newsgroup". none of your recent replies are associated with the message tou are replying to. what newsreader do you use?
barry martin wrote:

Jo wrote:

Hmm:
Barry's reading through a news-to-QWK (BBS) gateway. It probably doesn't support "reply to newsgroup", in that it doesn't keep track of the "References" header. Thus, the broken replies (not to mention the truncated "Subject" headers).
Barry, is there any way you could move to a REAL newsreader, perhaps by getting an account on a news server such as news.individual.net (what I use)? I assume you have some level of web access.

don't hit "reply" or "reply to group" your replies are USELESS information anyway. not to mention that you even reply to yourself.........what a loser!