Replacing Wood Windows

I would like some advice about replacing wood windows.

a) Is this a relatively easy DIY job? Seems so, but are their gotcha's b) Vinyl or Wood? I think I like the idea of vinly, but are their advantages of wood (cost, etc). c) Can anyone recommend where I can purchase replacement windows in the West Los Angeles Area..unless there are online sites that work out better. d) Any good online resources for these questions?

Thanks In Advance

Depends on the DIYer and the job.

High quality vinyl is good, but cheap vinyl is worthless. Remember that wood has proven to be a good window material for centuries. However it is quality not materials that make the biggest difference. I would want wood. I have vinyl clad wood right now and I am happy with them as that combination seems to give me the best of both.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

As Mr. Meehan says, the DIY question has to be answered by the particular way the windows are installed and your ability.

A lot of McMansions in the South East are using vinyl. I still prefer wood with all the painting and glazing compound maintenance.

If you do use wood windows, insist that all surfaces including the groofe where the glass sits are fully painted. If it is not, and the glazing compound hardens, water will get in there and the windows will rot.

TB

Reply to
tbasc

i don't know of a company that makes a wood *replacement* window similar to the vinyl style that once you remove the stops inside, the vinyl windows go into the old openings and are screwed into place. if you want all new windows, i'd go Anderson all the way, they have the best products on the market, IMO.

Reply to
JerseyMike

Pella and Weathershield both make a replacement style wood window. Marvin makes a type of replacement window that uses jamb liners and sashes.

Reply to
PAUL100