replacing wood expanion joints in driveway

I have a 3 year old house in the Houston area. The wood that used in the expansion joints for the driveway is already rotten and bowing upwards. Looks cedar 1x4s were used.
What is a good synthetic replacement replacement for the expansion joint material? I'm looking for something that will last and look good for a LONG time.
You didn't say what the driveway is, I assume it is concrete. My suggestion would be to replace the current lumber with pressure treated lumber. For appearance, you could paint the edge of the lumber with a grey paint. If you use any silicone type product it will become sticky on hot days. Concrete patch filler won't allow for expansion. Plastic won't stand-up.
Bill www.renovation-headquarters.com
Mook Johnson wrote:

I live in Houston as well and have the same problem. I noticed at the gas stations around here that they used a spongy chemical filler. I picked up a jug of the stuff at Lowe's, but have yet to use it. (Time is a precious commodity to me right now.)
It was located in the lumber department, near the roofing supplies. It's specifically for this application, tho.
Mook Johnson wrote:

Mook Johnson wrote:

They make a flexible caulk just for that purpose. It's even concrete gray color. Stuff in some backing material, then caulk on top of it. If you can't find any, check with a local general contractor to see where he gets his.
Bob
Mook Johnson wrote:

crushed stone, gravel or pea stone. Some comes in different colors if you wanted to give a different look.
The caulk tubes of filler, sealant, etc would be tough to fill such a large gap and will fail eventually anyway. There is stuff for large gaps but i think thats a pro install. Around here there is a fiber stuff for expansion joints but its thinner than a 1x board. Doubled up would maybe fill the crack but would look crappy IMO.
Take some pictures of what you do and post back for others to see.