Replacing water supply shutoff to toilet

I have a leak when I open the shutoff so I guess I need to replace the valve. I am not sure that this is a do it yourself project. I am handy but not experienced with plumbing. Any advice? Should I leave this to the professionals?

it's a pretty simple DIY task but depending on the age & current installation method there could be some problems.
Do a search with Google using the following search string
replacing toilet shut off valve
OR
search this ng for the topic
replacing toilet shut off valve
or some similar words
I'm sure the topic's been covered
cheers Bob
Murph wrote:

    Where is this leak occurring? If it is around the stem of the handle, the nut around the stem might be tightened slightly and stop the leak. If it is around the connecting hose or tubing leading to the toilet, the same might be done or some Teflon tape or pipe dope applied. If you do not know what these things are, then seek help. It really depends upon where the leak is and how badly it leaks.

leak might be from above, say at seal where line enters tank then runs down supply line dripping at valve.
some words of advice, if you must replace the valve install a ball valve, less chance of future leaks FAST 1/4 turn shut off in emergencies
be careful the line that enters to floor or wall can break off causing much grief
Depends,
If you look at where the supply pipe enters the shut off valve, do you see a nut or is the valve soldered to the pipe? If it is a nut, then you should have what is called a compression fitting. This type is fairly easy to replace. If it is soldered, then you need a torch and some basic plumbing skills and you might consider calling a plumber.
If it is leaking from the stem, then you might need to gently tighten the packing nut. Since these valves tend to be cheaply made, you will probably need to replace it. If it leaks from where the toilet supply line enters the valve, try tightening that nut or replace the supply line. Spend the extra money and get the stainless steel braided type. Take the old one with you to the store to get the right size, The connection to the shutoff valve comes in two sizes.

Which one is leaking? It's not clear from your post. The fill valve in the tank, or the shut off valve at the wall?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus