Replacing water intake valve for washing machine

Hello. My washing machine won't stop filling with water. The previous residents of this house left the water faucets open all the time, and I believe the valve may be broken (of course, there may be another problem, but this is my first thought). I'd like to replace the valve and see whether that helps. Before beginning this project, I will turn off the water at the main shut off valve for the whole house. Please tell me whether I need to turn off the water heater. It is a gas powered water heater. I asked several people at the hardware store, and they said that I do not need to turn off the water heater, but I'd like to hear your thoughts. Also, if you have any other tips on this project, please let me know. Thanks.
Leave the valve alone for now. The problem is in the washing machine. There's a solenoid assembly that is supposed to stay closed till it gets the voltage to open. Go to your local library and get a book on appliance repair that includes washing machines. The repair is easy, the valve solenoid assembly is not very expensive. Don't need to turn off the water heater unless you're going to be running water out without it being replaced. And you probably need to be calling the "water intake valve" the "supply valve" instead. Not still living in the apartment building, Catherine?

Mike,
My interpretation of her post is that she wishes to replace the intake valve which is inside the washing machine. This is a solenoid valve which admits water to the machine. She's on the right track here. She doesn't need to turn off the water heater and she may be able to turn off the water at the faucets located behind the washer rather than at the main valve. Probably a good time to look at the hoses between faucet and washer, also.
Dave M.
Michael Baugh wrote:

Hi. Thank you for your help. I will look for a book on appliance repair. You are right. I moved away from that dreadful apartment, and in the process, I've managed to exchange one set of problems for another.
You have 2 hoses connected to the back of the machine, they are connected to the fill valve. Turn off the water for these 2 hoses. Unplug the machine. Replace the valve. What brand is it?
If water comes into the machine while it's turned off or unplugged then you need the water valve.

Ed wrote:

Hi. Thanks for your help. I should have been more specific. Apparently, before I moved in, the hot and cold water knobs controlling the two hoses at the back of the machine had been left on or open. The previous residents turned the water off by pushing the pull-to-start/push-to-stop knob on the machine itself rather than turning the hot and cold faucets off. When I tried to use the machine, I turned the machine on by pulling up on that knob. I assumed that the machine would fill to a certain point, and would then stop filling when it was ready to go to the next phase of the cycle, but it just kept filling. I turned the hot and cold knobs to the hoses off and the machine stopped filling. The brand is Kelvinator.
Thanks to all of you for your replies. This is definitely one of the better Internet newsgroups!
chemqueries wrote:

Hi,
Something that may help to split up the possible trouble makers... http://www.applianceaid.com/washer_overfilling.html
Appliance Repair Aid wrote:

Hi Jeff.
Thank you for those links!
chemqueries wrote:

You mean it never went to the agitation cycle even though it was full to the point of overflowing? That sounds less like the solenoid valves and more like the water level switch, or maybe something else like the timer/controller. So let's rule out the valves.
Begin with the washer empty. Now test the "cold" solenoid valve. Turn the hot water hose off at the knob/valve that supplies the hose, and turn the cold water knob on. Cause the washer to fill, and cycle the temperature knob from "hot" to "cold" and back again a few times. If the water alternates between start and then stop completely, you know the "cold" solenoid is OK.
Now test the "hot" solenoid valve. Turn the cold water hose off at the knob/valve that supplies the hose, and turn the hot water knob on. Cause the washer to fill, and cycle the temperature knob from "hot" to "cold" and back again a few times. If the water alternates between start and then stop completely, you know the "hot" solenoid is OK.
Once you have proven the solenoids are the problem or not, you can be sure if you need to replace the solenoid valve(s) or look elsewhere.
%mod%

No reason to turn it off. You're not draining it and no water will be flowing through it.
Also, if you have any other tips on this

You may want to check out www.repairclinic.com
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I checked out the repair clinic link. It's very helpful.
chemqueries Wrote:

pressure in the lines before you open the plumbing up! To
-- tomeshew
tomeshew Wrote:

solenoid valving INSIDE the washer itself! Good luck. To
-- tomeshew
if your concerned about the water heater, just turn the control to 'pilot'. this will prevent the gas heater from burning and you will not have to relight the pilot light.
just don't forget to turn it back on when you finish.