Replacing valves where the water comes in

Page 1 of 3
Hi,
I need to replace the valves right where the water service comes in. My water company turns the water off for free and then turns it on for $50. So it's much cheaper than hiring a plumber for the job.
One thing that I am not sure about is this. Once the water is turned off, how will I be able to get all the water out of the pipe (that leads to the street) so I can do my soldering?
Many thanks in advance,
Aaron

You could use a compression fitting valve?
BTW we inadvertently ended up with two ball valves in series. The incoming cold water pipe from street is three quarter copper it has a 3/4" ball valve. The in house piping is half inch and has a 1/2" ball valve. In between the two there is a union. The unexpceted and unplanned advantage of ending up with that is; by shutting off the street water, then the house water it is possible to open up the union with very little water in the short few inches of pipe between the two valves. Then rig some sort of drainage and by gently opening up the upper house valve it is possible to drain down the house piping in a controlled manner (opening up something further along of course to allow air into the emptying system). Just a thought anyway.
get a spray bottle takeout the trigger and hose place the hose in cut piece of of pipe and pump,pump,pump

If this is so you can turn off the water when you want why not get a buffalo box key and turn off the service yourself, I think Menards and HD have them cheap.
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 13:12:42 -0800 (PST), Aaron Fude

When you cut the pipe, the water drains out. If need be, push a smaller diameter vinyl hose in it and force some air through it. You can also shove bread into the pipe. It will disolve rather quickly and it gives you time to get the soldering done. Just make all your prep work that you can get done before hand first, then put the new valve on and solder quickly. Bubba

use MAPP GAS WITH MAPP GAS TORCH! regular propane isnt too good on larger lines

These are 3/4" pipes. Still?
propane or butane is fine. they used it for decades before MAPP was invented.
These are 3/4" pipes. Still?

yeah untill the low lead solder came out, its melting temperature is higher, MAPP makes the new solder work much easier
in those cases perhaps.... i don't use the lead free shit.

yeah untill the low lead solder came out, its melting temperature is higher, MAPP makes the new solder work much easier
Oh you like cosuming lead with your water?

With the advances of modern technology, we have the option of keeping our families safe from known poisons. Or, not. I hope he discloses at time of sale, that he's been using lead solder on the drinking water lines.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

we all grew up in lead soldered copper plumbed houses. There's no more danger in that than in all the other shit the government took off the market.
steve

Symptoms of lead poisoning include lack of capitalization, and use of crude language?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

reAllY? nO shiT!!
Congratulations, you have less than one dumbspotter of lead per dessibleeder, and can now go home. Please return in two weeks for your wreck tall ex ham. Brought to you by the pork lobby.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Thanks, but why would I cut the pipe? I thought I would sweat off the old valve...