Replacing Trane XB100 Heat pump after 7 years?

I am the second owner of a home built in 97. The trane wreck is orginal equipment. It is a outside located heat pump. Why is copper connected to aluminum tubing coil. Looks like low quality construction. This is very poor as most are expected for 15 years from what I have read.

The repair man said he found numerous leaks in the outside unit, however He only check the outside unit based on the most recent charge only lasting 30-60 days. Repair man said numerous of these units have failed locally.

I do not currently have a problem with pricing, however what bothered me is he said if I wait till after January I will be forced into a 13 SEER unit. That did not bother me much either. What make me not want to go forward with this contractor is that he want to run the tubing up the side of the house with >12SEER unit.

Why can he not cut a larger hole and use the concealed tubing? It currently runs under the house, up the wall and over to the utility room over the garage. I do not want a high bill AND an ugly house.

Reply to
Drew_Y

Drew

He is not quite right. After January 23, it is illegal to MANUFACTURE anything less than 13 SEER. They can still be sold & installed till they are out of stock.

Trane equipment normally lasts 12 to 15 years here in Myrtle Beach SC. Trane uses aluminum tubing with aluminum fins in a very reliable coil that has stood the test of time. The rest of the unit uses copper tubing, hence the transitions.

If the leak has been found in the outdoor unit, why is he replacing the line set? If the line is too small, that is the only reason that I can see.

When I must replace a line set in that manner, I normally run it inside a downspout that matches the downspout on the house if there is any.

Normally, to get a true 12 SEER, the indoor coil or indoor unit must be replaced also. Make sure you get an ARI certified match.

This guy sounds pushy to me. He is probably on commission. You may want a second opinion. You may also want the indoor coil checked for leaks as well.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

I'm sorry, but why are you asking any body here how to run the AC line set?? It is not like we can see your house from here!! Nobody here will be able to tell you how to run a line set into your house! We do on occasion run line sets up an outside wall. There are products available to conceal the line set so it looks no worse than a down spout. If you don't like what he proposes, call someone else to get another opinion! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Normal doesn't apply when poorly contstructed fittings are used. Copper is factory annealed to aluminum tubing. That is just low cost contruction that is intentionally unrepairable and what many people call junk. These units have had numerous similiar complaints, but only claims the new units are improved.

I think the HVAC rep was more greedy than pushy. A ten minute search found the Goodman unit for 478 undelivered. He wrote a quote to replace the coil 10 SEER, Unit Quoted and install for 1875. Three other calls to local repairmen had two no shows and one no call back. I can only assume I will get the same service in spring. I got a guy in our maintenance to install the 10 SEER Goodman, and a recharge for 140. Works great.

I wish other would go the same route if presented with the service I got.

Reply to
Drew_Y