replacing toilet closet flange

Took the old toilet off and found the closet bolt holts for the plastic flange are broken. It appears there are no bolts holding the flange to the PVC piping. It may glued in.
Looked at a repair ring from Ace but it's too big and the holes don't line up.
What's the best way to resolve this? Any way to repair the ring? Or how do I get it off the piping under the floor. (Floor is concrete)
Thanks all

When you say the holes are broken, what do you mean?
Typically there are slots as opposed to holes. Are they broken at the exact spot where the bolt heads would grab?
Is there nothing left to the hold the johnny bolts in place?
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 12:05:29 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

yeah it's the closet bolt slots.

the flange itself looks to be in good shape except for the broken closet bolt slots. it's a 'normal' closet flange, glued to the outside of the pipe. getting down there is not an option since it's in the basement concrete floor, so whatever i do has to be done above the floor.

Perhaps you can cut your old one off/out and use a replacement twist- flange:
http://www.nextag.com/twist-n-set-flange/compare-html
Click any of the 3 right-hand pictures here and see if one those will work. The semi-circle one that appears to go under the existing flange seems like it might work for you.
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 13:26:16 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

these look good...wonder if there's a tool to cut a flange away freom the inside of the pipe...
thanks much!

I don't know how smooth a surface you would need if you were going to use the twist in insert. If it doesn't have to be perfect because the rubber "boot" will seal it, then grinding the old flange away with a Dremel (and a vacuum) might work.

Assuming that what you have now is PVC, do a Google search for "inside pipe cutter" or "internal pipe cutter".
Here's one from Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?keyword=inside+pipe+cutter&langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
It's very easy. Just connect it to a drill and it cuts the pipe from the inside.
If it is cast iron pipe, use an angle grinder.
For YouTube videos on how to repair a toilet flange, go to:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fix+toilet+flange&aq=f

Or, buy a toilet flange ring like this one:
http://www.hardwareworld.com/Toilet-Flange-Ring-Stainless-Steel-pN7NTBP.aspx
It opens up and clips onto the exiting flange.
Good luck.

not bad! and only $10...

thanks much! appreciate it...happy new year
bpuharic wrote:

Just thinking out loud here. Don't take it out. Instead: 1. Get another flange. 2. Saw off the part that attaches to the pipe. 3. Line it up over the damaged flange and glue it in place. 4. Drill several holes in the pair of flanges - bolt them together.
There should be enough slack and space in the area to accommodate this jury-rigging.
Let us know how it turns out.

that may work but just wonder if it's stable enough for the toilet to sit on it...have to be awesome glue!
thanks for the idea...
bpuharic wrote:

No, no! It's the BOLTS that hold the contraption together. The glue is just suspenders to go with the belt (and hold the mess together while you drill the bolt holes).

> Thanks all
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 17:50:04 -0500, "Colbyt"

yes, i saw thse at the local ace hardware....the ring may work but it'll make the toilet sit higher...might have to shim it up, but this may be the best solution since the floor is concrete and cant be cut open...
good idea!
"> Took the old toilet off and found the closet bolt holts for the

*I once bought a metal repair flange that had eye holes extended past the flange diameter. It gets screwed to the floor using the eye holes and the slots are clear for the bolts. I think I bought it at The Home Depot.
"bpuharic" wrote in message
Took the old toilet off and found the closet bolt holts for the plastic flange are broken. It appears there are no bolts holding the flange to the PVC piping. It may glued in.
Looked at a repair ring from Ace but it's too big and the holes don't line up.
What's the best way to resolve this? Any way to repair the ring? Or how do I get it off the piping under the floor. (Floor is concrete)
Thanks all
I had the same problem as you this summer. My toilet drain is black abs (4"). Some people may have cast and the diameters might be a bit different so get the right flange.
I bought a product similar to this: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg1/R-100062268/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
I simply seat the new flange in the old then I put a tapcon drill thru the back ring hole to sturdy it to the concrete floor then mounted the toilet to the good flange with regular toilet bolts.
In my case it raised the new toilet base up a bit so I used a sponge seal ring instead of a wax seal and I bought plastic shims to level the toilet. Sturdy as hell.