Replacing Subfloor Under Sole Plate

I have to replace some large portions of a subfloor in an old sunroom that I am converting into a kitchen. I will probably end up replacing all of it. Since I will be putting down cement board and then tile.

Some of the rot seems to extend to under the sole plate in places. It haven't seen any problems with the sole plate itself. I would like some advice on the best tools and techniques for getting that old subfloor out from under the sole plate and sliding new plywood in.

Thanks.

Reply to
Wyatt Wright

I can see no way to do it without major work to include jacking up the wall the sole plate is holding up. You will probably find the sole plate -does- need replacing if it is sitting on rotted material.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

The "easiest" way seems to be...cut the studs insert a header spanning beyond the area of the rot. Not sure what kind of roof design or which wall is bearing the most of the roof, how much material is rotted, etc.

If you need to support the wall to do this, you might want to tear out the related soffit and support the rafters (girder under the tails, posts to the ground).

Once the wall is supported, you can cut the studs and sole plate, tear out the subfloor, and replace it. When you're finished, leave the header in the wall with the jack studs beneath it and replace your wallboard. Of course, all of this is assuming this sunroom isn't chock full of windows...which most are.

Conversely, if the wall hasn't settled, the subfloor is likely relatively sound in a great enough distance for the load to be carried.

I'd go for the latter option myself.

a.

Reply to
Andrew Smith