replacing steam radiator valves

Hello, I'm replacing some 3/4", angled, radiator supply valves on a two-pipe steam system. The valves that are currently there are Hoffmann Specialty Co. "blade-handled" valves with numbers, so I assume you can control the amount of heat you're getting. Basically, I'm wondering if I should try to use this same type of valve as a replacement. Or, in other words, what are my options and what might the approximate cost be per valve. Thanks for your help, Nelson

Reply to
Nelson

There are adjustable thermostat valves that MIGHT work, to zone different rooms autmatically saw them on this old house, am a forced air guy myself...

Reply to
hallerb

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah I saw those thermostatic valves while perusing the web. I wonder how well they work?

Basically what I've found is that there are 3 types of valves:

1.) "old-fashioned" brass valves that can be either ON or OFF 2.) "old-fashioned" brass "modulating" valves that you can dial in to control the steam flow (that's what is on there now). 3.) thermostatic valves that you can also dial in to control steam flow

Of course, the price difference is pretty substantial, increasing as you go down the list.

I wonder if the extra cost is worth the benefits. Do they work? Are you getting additional headaches because of greater complexity of the valves? Are the old ON or OFF valves just as good?

Anybody have any first-hand experience?

Reply to
Nelson

To control heat it is easier, cheaper, better, to do it with the air vents on top. Dole makes a 1-10 adjustable, Gorton have different letter sizes, forget the hadrware store made in china ones they are restrictive and dont last, they equal maybe 2 on a Dole adjustable. Changing a valve to control heat will cost alot more, take more time and not be as accurate in balancing temps. A leaking valve can be repacked.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you about the vents. The only problem is, it's a two-pipe system -- no vents... I thought about repairing the valves but the homeowner wants to go with new ones.

Reply to
Nelson