replacing slider wheels

I took out the sliding door....replaced the wheels and can't get the door back in with both sets of wheels. The wheels are up in there and to the lowest position. I've been told to remove the stationary part but the top part of the door has the same height on both sides doesn't seem like it would be easier. Ideas? Terry

Reply to
Terry Cano

...and this would be a shower door, a closet door, a patio door, the side door of your van....

Reply to
Sharp-Dressed Man

Are you trying to get it into place in the "closed" position or in the center ? There are often blocks in the top of the track to keep it from being 'lifted' If so, try putting it in/up over on the "open" side.

Reply to
Rudy

Reply to
Terry Cano

When you say "to the lowest position", do you mean as far inside the door as possible? Have you moved the adjusting screw on the rollers all the way to the end of its range? I have never replaced the rollers on the glass door, but I have found that after replacing the rollers on the screen door and adjusting them all the way in, I will sometimes have to kind of push up on the roller with a flat screwdriver or putty knife blade to get them to clear the lip on the bottom track.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

The wheels are retracked all the way.... there is about 1/4 to much wheel....even measured everything including the wheel dia..... exactly like the old wheels. Terry

Reply to
Terry Cano

re: "I've been told to remove the stationary part"

By whom?

Obviously, I can't see your door from here, but maybe by removing the stationary door, you'll be able to angle the slider portion a little more, perhaps from the outside, to get it in.

Another thought...you didn't say how your door came out. Sliders come out a couple of different ways, depending on the manufacturer. Some lift up and swing out from the bottom, some have an upper stop that when removed allow the slider to "fall" into the room. How did yours come out/

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Don't know why you started 2 threads with the same question, but here is a copy of what I wrote in the other thread. (too late to edit it I'm going to bed)

How are you able to get the door in at all if the wheels are up in the doors pocket? If the door with worn wheels came out with no problem, than there should be no problem putting it back if the wheels are the same size and set at the lowest position.

Did you try installing the door on both ends of the frame? The middle? Try working in one side of the door at a time using a pry bar on the bottom of the door. (make sure you don't pry against the guide!)

The only time I ever had a problem was because the home had settled over the yrs. It was difficult to get the door out and I had to use a house jack and a 2x4 on the frame / house to get the door with new rollers back in.

BTW, Taking out the stationary door would make it harder to get the door back in if the home as settled.

Reply to
Ron

The frame is fixed I got the door out by lifting up and angling the bottom of the door over the threshold lip to the inside of the house. I've tried to put it back the same way... no luck. This simple project has turned into a night mare Terry

Reply to
Terry Cano