Replacing roof in the winter

I need a new roof. I was going to do it next spring but just developed leaks in my roof. I think they are asphalt shingles. Can I have it replaced now in cold weather (Massachusetts) and will they seal?
Any info or directions to reliable info would be appreciated. I know next to nothing about this and need to learn quickly!!
Thanks.
Chet
CGB wrote:

How about fix the leak for temporary and do it in warm weather. Tony
If it must be a diy project, plan it for warmer weather and just do a patchup of some kind for now, even if it's only a few gallons of tar. Too cold, too dangerous, and too many "tricks of the trade" for a newbie to tackle. Better wet than broke or dead.
|I need a new roof. I was going to do it next spring but just developed | leaks in my roof. I think they are asphalt shingles. Can I have it | replaced now in cold weather (Massachusetts) and will they seal? | | Any info or directions to reliable info would be appreciated. I know next | to nothing about this and need to learn quickly!! | | Thanks. | | Chet | |

No. I just had my roof (Chicago) done 2 weeks ago, it was the tail end of their season. It was only because of the un-seasonably warm weather that they could even do it.
Without a nice, warm, sunny day, the shingles won't seal, and be subject to wind damage.
CGB wrote:

I agree with Pop. Don't do it yourself. The temp will make it a lot harder for you do get done right. The pros do it all the time with no problems. If you get a good day they will seal now, if not they will do it in the spring. Just hope you don't get a really odd wind in the meantime.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Interesting, the thought of just patching it never entered my mind! I don't know exactly where the leak is. It's coming into an upstairs bedroom ceiling and the crawlspace above is not too accessible but possible I suppose. There is a leak into garage ceiling also (it has a sheet rock ceiling) and no access above. Ouch!
I wouldn't attempt any of this myself. I can't handle heights and don't know anything about roofing.
I take it the gist is to wait til warm weather if at all possible. I hope it's possible. Having some background info I'll contact a roofer and see what he says. I talked to a construction guy (self-taught) yesterday who wanted the job and he said you can put roofs on anytime of year, they will still seal. Seems strange to me.
I take it the general consensus is wait, if possible?
Any links to any web pages so I could read about this stuff?
Thanks.
Chet

CGB wrote:

Learn to use Google.