Replacing Roof Fan/Vent

I have a non-functional roof fan. I want to remove it and replace it with a vent (as recommended by my home inspector).
To remove the existing fan, it appears that I need to lift shingles.
1) is this a DIY?
2) if so and is pretty easy, any advice on how to proceed?
Thanks
papaSPAM wrote:>I have a non-functional roof fan. I want to remove it and replace it with

Quite easy, providing the pitch of the roof allows you comfort. Anything 6 in 12 or over should be secured for safety. Cut the power to the unit. Using a flatbar, start by removing fasteners 2-3 rows above the vent, and about a foot beyond the sides. Working your way down, you can cut the shingles away, always cutting above the slot in the shingle. If they're dimensionals, keep your cuts at least 4 inches away from adjacent(above or below) cuts and butts. When you've removed the shingles covering the flange, remove any fasteners holding the flange in place, and carefully remove the unit. Rewire the new one, install it over the hole, and use new shingles to repair the roof. Everywhere there was a fastener is a possible leak point! If the new shingles look out of place, it's possible to re-use the old ones, or pirate some from another, less visible roof area. Instructions are on the back of every bundle. Good luck! Tom Work at your leisure!
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:49:13 GMT, _PGG_

Why replace it? If you are thinking about replacing a non-working electric vent with a slant-back vent, there won't be any change in your attic ventilation. Right now you have a hole in the roof for the electric vent that will probably be the same hole for the static vent--what's the difference?
Bruce A&B Construction Houston, TX www.roof.cc

Because the fan lid keeps coming off. It is broken and there is no good way to fasten.
One of these days I will get nailed when it blows off right before a storm and I am gone.

If it has to be replaced, why not use another electric vent--a static vent won't move much air. (I assume that you can't install ridge vents).
Bruce A&B Construction Houston, TX www.roof.cc

Dunno. Home inspector said not to bother with electric vents. I live in Wisconsin.
He also told me to install additional soffits under the overhang parts.

I'm no expert in ventilation for colder climates but I would think that an electric vent with a humidistat whould be a good idea. I believe one of the major concerns in colder weather is to make sure the warm humid air is expelled from the attic before it can condense on the cooler decking. A static vent will help do this, but an electic vent with a humidistat would move more air when the humidity level reaches a pre-determined humidity level. (But I don't know if there are other concerns).
Generally speaking, you can't have too many soffit vents.
Bruce A&B Construction Houston, TX www.roof.cc

I cant invision that this could not be fastend down with pop rivets or sheet metal screws.

This is Turtle.
if you live in the Southern states you really need to put the Electric fan type vent fan back on it. If you live in the northern states you can go back with the static air roof vents. The removial of the fan is nothing to do if you just do as Tom said.
Electric fans cost about $29.00 to $69.00 depending on the quality.
The static fans cost about $18.00 to $28.00 depending on the Quality.
If you live in the southern states the static fan type will cost you big time over the life of your ownership verses the electric type. It's your money and Your choice.
TURTLE