Replacing pump on 18 year old Kenmore washer, anything else I should replace?

I have an 18 year old Kenmore direct drive washer. Lately it's not been draining the tub completely, and occassionally I've seen a small amount of water leaking from the front. I'm pretty certain that I'm going to be replacing the pump. While I have it apart I'm going to do an inspection and cleaning, and even though it doesn't seem to be having any other issues, is there anything else (gaskets, seals, etc.) that I should just go ahead and replace, or at least pay special attention to? Most of those parts are pretty inexpensive and I'd rather replace them while I'm working on the rest of the unit instead of waiting six months and disassembling the washer again.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O'Donnell

Hi,

For sure check the motor coupler at the same time!!

motor coupler and pump helps.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

After 18yrs junk it and buy a new one!

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

Why junk it? The Whirlpool washer bought in 1961 is still going. Raised 2 children. Cloth diapers, lots of loads. Gave it to oldest son 10 years ago as wife wanted a new one. Son still using it, just changed pump and belt recently. W W

Reply to
Warren Weber

Could be the pump, could be what drives the pump (loose belt?), could be a collapsing hose or blockage.

It's a crap shoot. Fixing the pump can get you another 18 years, but a major component can go tomorrow. Know real way of knowing for sure.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Reply to
Mike O'Donnell

Why junk it if it's working OK? My parents washer lasted about 25 years.

The only problem we've had with it has been the last couple of weeks with the water draining. The tub, agitator,etc. all seem to be in good shape, and if the rest of it looks as good once I get the cover off, then $50 worth of parts sure beats $500 for a new one.

Mike

Reply to
Mike O'Donnell

It's a direct drive, so it's not a belt issue. I'll check the hoses, but when it drains, it seems to drain pretty strong.

Once or twice in the last few weeks there was water under the cabinet, when I looked under it seemed like it was coming from the front. That seems to have gone away, but now we're often seeing an inch or two of water after the spin is done. From what I've researched, it sounds like the pump is the likely culprit, but I won't know until I open up the cabinet.

I'm not expecting to get 18 more years just with the pump, but if I replace the pump and maybe a few other minor parts, it might buy me a few more years before dropping down $500 for a new one.

- Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O'Donnell

Thanks for all the comments.

I worked on the washer today. Other than some lint and cobwebs, the unit was suprisingly clean and everthing looked in good shape inside. The hoses were flexible, nothing clogged, etc. When I took the pump off there was some sideways play in the bearing, and it seemed like as it rotated it had some tighter spots. It also had a noticible water stain from the hub seal, so I went ahead and replaced it. After purchasing the new one, I broke open up the old pump housing. The impeller was not solidly connected to the shaft, and the bearing/seal at the hub was pretty worn. Also some of the plastic on the inside of the pump housing was worn away, so between them all I figure that's what was causing the water to not all drain. The total from a local supplier was about $32.

I went ahead and checked some of the other areas like the motor coupling. I wouldn't say they were like new, but everything seemed very solid with no cracks or other obvious excessivly worn areas. Not bad for an 18 year old washer. If I get a few more years out of it, it's worth it.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O'Donnell

You did good. Thanks for reporting back. Many people ask for help and then you never hear from them again.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks.

I try to post a conclusion when I can. There's been many times I've googled for something, find a several year old post with the same issue, but never followed up with the answer.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O'Donnell

Good job!! :) Thankx for the update!!

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Hi, Wouldn't it be nice if everyone comes back with follow-up like this to the benefit of all of us. Wishful thought. Thanks, Mike. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang