replacing pressure tank

I have been told to replace my existing old style 120 gallon galvanized pressure tank with a bladder style tank i have to pull my submersible pump and change something??? is this a true statement??

Reply to
donreid

Unless the air inlet valve is inside the casing, you shouldn't have to pull the pump, but your old pressure tank probably has an air valve somewhere before the check valve. It should look like a schraeder valve (at least on mine it does). That'll have to be taken care of so you don't introduce any air into the new tank. I think. Tom

Reply to
tom

I didn't have to and that was 15 yrs ago. Talk to a plumer.

Reply to
C & E

You don't have to pull the pump. There will be some type of air injector valve somplace in the accessable piping before it enters your existing tank or a float type "snifter" valve on the tank itself. If it is on the pipe going into the tank, remove it.

Once you have the new tank in position, check the pre-charge in the tank. It should be set to about 2 psi below your cut-in setting on the pressure switch. If you are set for a 30-50 range, then adjust the pre-charge to 28 psi.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K