Replacing Patio Sliding Doors

I need to replace the sliding patio doors on my house due to the glass being fogged on the inside of the glass panes. It's a pretty standard looking door, 6'8" high and 6' or so wide. Looks like it should be a pretty easy job to replace.
Question that I have, are the doors manufactured in standard widths? What I mean is do all manufacturers that sell a 6' wide sliding patio door all make them the same width on the outside? Or do I need to take these out and measure them before I buy? Don't want to add unsightly fillers anywhere if I can help it, or cut the opening wider.
Thanks, Brian

They are standard but measure them. Of more importance is your install. Most manufacturers specfy a Plumb, Level and Square install or any warranty is Void, Companies like Pella and Anderson allow a 1/8" max out of perfect install, One crappy company I know requires perfect install. Alot of warrantys are dissalowed by improper install.

I'm "in the process!"
Sometimes the original builder takes some "shortcuts" that make it very difficult to replace the unit. In my case, the bottom of the door assembly was at the patio level rather than the basement level. (Problems include water damage, trash in the track, etc.) When I raise the bottom I have to do some cutting and reframing at the top.
But they are "standard." If the door is in a brick or block wall, you usually have to add extra space as the exterior trim is usually INSIDE a brick wall but on the surface of a siding surface.

Are the frame, weather seal, and moving parts in good shape? If so, local glass company can just switch out the glass, probably cheaper than switching the entire door. If the rest of the door is getting bad, yeah, a modern door is probably indicated. Don't forget, there is often a nailer flange buried under the siding or brick on the outside. Sliding door is essentially just a giant window, and installs about the same way. If vendor will install for a few hundred or less, jump at it. It is hard work (those suckers are HEAVY), a two-man job, and as noted, warranty often requires a pro installation anyway.
aem sends...

"ransley" <Mark snipped-for-privacy@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

Yes, to some degree. Assemble the frame according to every instructional detail. You will assemble the unit on the floor. Once together and ready to place in the RO, do_not_ torque_ the_ frame.
Make sure the helper knows this.
-- Oren
diablo wrote:

Pull the inside jamb molding off to expose the door frame and studs, and measure the rough opening. Find one that will fit in your rough opening.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

If you really *want* to replace your patio door, knock yourself out, but it seem like a lot of money to waste if the only problem is fogged glass.
Look in the yellow pages under "Glass". Any competent glass company can take apart the frames of the sliding panels, put new glass in them and reassemble. Many will even give you a warranty on the new glass.
Let your fingers do the walking.

"John~ "
< snipped-for-privacy@Invalid.earthlink.net> wrote in message

New rollers are five bucks apiece.
A new door costs how much? Installed?
It's your money....

rollers, since they will likely have the door out on sawhorses anyway. Most window companies are happy to give free estimates, with a site visit. Call a couple local companies, and have the price out repair and replacement.
aem sends...
In article

or...
http://www.blainewindow.com