Replacing old AC units....Fridgidaire any good?

Time to replace a pair of 20 year old AC units (split system - replacing inside and outside components) and all the old ductwork. My AC man is recommending Fridgidaire units with a 16 SEER rating.
I've never had anything made by Fridgidaire so I was wondering about their quaility / longetivity / etc. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Find out who makes them. Frigidaire does not make the compressors for their room AC units so find out who is behind the label. In this case, I'm guessing someone is just using the name. They are not listed ont he Frigidaire web page as a product.

http://www.frigidaire.net /
But it doesn't say who makes the compressors.

Odd that they don't have a cross reference between the .com and .net web sites. I wonder if they are still the same company, given the way the Frigidaire name has been whored around since GM sold the division years ago.
O wrote:

http://www.udarrell.com/eer_seer_ratings.htm
Regarding the ductwork: http://www.udarrell.com/sizing_ac_duct.htm
DISCLAIMER: I assume NO responsibility for the USE of any information I post on any of my Web pages, in E-Mails or News Groups. All HVAC/R work should always be done by a licensed Contractor & properly licensed Techs! This information is only placed on these pages primarily for your understanding & communication with contractors & techs. This information is also for the edification of Contractors and Techs. Never attempt anything that you are NOT competent to do in a SAFE manner! I am NOT liable for your screw-ups, you are liable for what you do! - Darrell Udelhoven - udarrell
O wrote:

You may want to check the homeowner's forum at www.hvac-talk.com, but read the messages first because your kind of question is asked a lot.
Don't bother with alt.hvac, where a consumer-hating psycho thinks he's the moderator.
The most highly regarded central A/C systems are probably Trane/ American Standard and Rheem/Ruud. The ones disliked the most are probably those made by Goodman, which includes Janitrol. If you're in Arizona, consider Goettl, a local manufacturer. Be sure to find a good contractor, one who will accurately estimate the size you need and do high quality work. There's no reason to avoid the smaller contractors, who actually have lower overhead than the large companies, most of which pressure their people into selling more than the customer needs, even when it comes to maintenance. OTOH do strongly consider getting a 10-year _factory_ parts & labor warranty.
larry moe 'n curly wrote:

Don't forget Coleman A/C units. They have a 13 SEER called a Micro Channel which is designed to replace a existing R-22 system.
As long as you get the right contractor to do the job you will be OK with about any brand out there.
--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician