Replacing my toilet - Recommendations?

I'm redoing my bathroom, and I've done some research here and at Consumer Reports. The best rated (CR) toilet, at least in 2005, was the Eljer Titan

091-0777. Does anyone have any opinions about this either way? I'd prefer to have a gravity flush rather than pressure flush, due to the location of the bathroom and proximity to bedrooms. Anyone have a different toilet that they like? I know that Toto is recommended in several threads on this board. Thanks for any input.
Reply to
<h>

If you don&#39;t need to replace it don&#39;t. Today&#39;s toilets aren&#39;t worth a shit.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Many are very good. The ones the contractors put in new homes and the ones most people buy for replacements are not very good.

Price does not seem to mean much. Many very expensive models are high style and poor engineering.

I suggest looking for models with "fully glazed" and large traps (2 inch minimum)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

As much toilet talk :) that goes on here I haven&#39;t read anyone raving about new toilets. On the contrary, I&#39;ve read more times than not to keep what you have if at all possible.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Google this group for "Toto Drake" and you will see plenty of raving. It easily outperforms all of my old high-flow toilets.

To the OP, I don&#39;t place a lot of confidence in Consumer Reports, and that sentiment was confirmed after their infant car seat debacle that was in the news recently. Instead, I&#39;d recommend that you read over everything on this page:

My 2 cents on pressure-assist toilets is to avoid them. Aside from the noise, there are just too many things to go wrong, and I&#39;ve heard of too many problems down the road.

Reply to
mike

Just installed a Toto Drake and followed the Terry Love directions. Worked out great. I bought the toilet from homeclick.com. Delivered right to the front door. nice... . Instead of using a wax ring, I used this thing on this page. A Fernco waxless ring.

Jack

Two words for you, To To - actually one word, Toto. Superb flushing, larger trap sizes, highly rated, and reasonably priced. The soft- close seat is worth the price of admission by itself.

Whenever I hear people bitch about the low flow toilets, I know they&#39;ve never tried a Toto.

RicodJour

Read this... I have replaced three toilets (in two houses) with Toto (Drake and Vespin) and in all cases the new toilets performed much, much better than the old ones, even though 2 of the old ones were older, high-flow toilets.

Reply to
M Q

How much better does it need to perform than flushing turds? My old toilet does that fine.

Reply to
Meat Plow

If using extra water is OK with you, and it never clogs, and it always clears the bowl and is otherwise in good shape, then by all means, don&#39;t replace it. But that&#39;s a little off-topic from the original topic of this thread.

Reply to
mike

Is there a particular Toto model that&#39;s good, or are all of them acceptable? My current toilet is a high-flow/old style and I love it. However, it&#39;s at least 30 years old and developing cracks in the tank, which is why it has to be replaced. Also, I need to get something in almond, light beige, or natural to match the shower, and that&#39;s proving to be an issue as well.

Reply to
<h>

Well I don&#39;t consider talking about toilets in a toilet thread as off topic. I replied to the OP that the OP keep his old toilet.

Reply to
Meat Plow

quoted text -

I always worry about anyone who says that they "love" their toilet.

Reply to
BobR

My thoughts as well. Yes, I read the terrylove page awhile ago, and it was very helpful, although often the customer comments differed significantly from the "best value" page recommendations. An American Standard model was rated as a "best buy" and every single customer comment was a complaint.

Reply to
<h>

Next best choice is to find a old, used toilet.

Reply to
HeyBub

Fix or replace the tank?

Reply to
HeyBub

Better than "hating" it :)

Reply to
<h>

Thanks for the tip! Googled, selected a model, HomeClick was the cheapest, plus a 10% discount, plus free shipping! A Toto Ultimate will be delivered to my door for less than $400! Now we&#39;ll see if I can install it on my own, since DH will only "plumb" if it&#39;s an emergency. At least I know how to install a "regular" toilet, so I figure if I read the terrylove page I should be ahead of the game.

Reply to
<h>

Two things to consider:

- CR actually tested toilets using fake turds. If I recall, they provided their recipe, for readers interested in such things. Seems pretty thorough to me.

- Nobody in this newsgroup has conducted such tests on a long list of toilets.

That&#39;s that.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

As mentioned earlier in this thread, get a Toto "Drake", check out Toto&#39;s website for colors available.

Reply to
EXT