Replacing my broiler element?

I have a 20 year old General Electric double wall oven. A broiler element caught on fire last night, with a bright arc to a support. After letting it cool, it looks real rough. Presumably it has to be replaced?
I tried to remove it, but it is screwed to the feed wires; the screw is on the top, so there is no access.
All I can think is that the wires pull out far enough to allow reasonable access, but I hate to try that until someone tells me it is right.
So, how do I get access to the screw to detach the broiler element?
on 8/6/2008 9:55 AM jack said the following:

http://www.appliance411.com/faq/replace-oven-element.shtml
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
jack wrote:

If the thermostat capillary tube is in the way, it needs to be moved (_very_ gently and don't bend or kink it -- in self-cleaning ovens it contains a strong caustic and is recommended to only handle it while wearing rubber gloves in case there's any leakage on the surface to avoid caustic burn possibilities).
Once it's out of the way, remove the screws holding the element and there're several inches of slack in the wires for expressly that purpose.
dpb wrote:

Oh, and without intention to insult your intelligence, make sure you cut off all electrical power to the oven before beginning work.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)