Replacing my AC system - and my head is spinning

Page 2 of 3

It's
and
air
And that's why there are so many FUCKED up systems out there.
Do it right or don't do it!!!!!!
By doing it wrong, is only screwing them in the long run and creating more headaches for the next guy!
Some times you need to say NO!
Again, do it right or walk!
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

What's "right" (especially relative to topics like the current one) is in the eye of the beholder.
Judging by the OP's email addy, he's in Fla..?? I've spent almost 20 summers in SFla (fortunalty just winters now), and I can tell you you don't want to play around when it comes to your AC.
I've owned both Janitrol and Trane. Trane blows Janitrol away. Further, Florida law requires you match your system inside and out. And new SEER ratings are required. I've had my Janitorl blown up by a power surge relative to a hurricane.
First the insurance company only paid for replacement of the outside unit . That was based on an estimate. I held off on replacement and put the money in the bank until demand waned and there were more companies competing for customers.
The guy who finally ended up doing the job told me about the need to match the units. I asked the insurance company to do a supplemental (based soley on the need to match inside and outside units) to my claim and they paid the addtional amount (quickly and ) without batting an eye.
Also it doesn't really matter what tonnage your units are now. What really matters is what tonnage your space 'needs' .. In my home that was built in '85 that was not done correctly when the home was built. So, if I kept going with what was there, I'd still be wrong and wasting electricity... Best to get a pro in there to do the math right..
And as someone said here, insulate as best you can. I added all replacement windows and it made a huge difference..
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote: ...

> I've had my Janitorl blown up by a power surge

What's to say the same power surge wouldn't have "blown up" your Trane (or any other unit)???
Re: Replacing my AC system - and my head is spinning Group: alt.home.repair Date: Mon, Jul 16, 2007, 6:11pm (EDT-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@non.net (dpb) snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote: .. I've owned both Janitrol and Trane. Trane blows Janitrol away. ... I've had my Janitorl blown up by a power surge relative to a hurricane. .. What's to say the same power surge wouldn't have "blown up" your Trane (or any other unit)??? --
Where did I say it couldn't. I'm just going by performance. The Trane runs effortlessly and uses much less electricity. And I had other issues with the Junket-trol that constantly needed service..
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Then it was totally immaterial, so why throw it into the mix was my point...

point...
Because of two facts...
#1 he's been Trane-washed
#2 he's trying to feel better about spending the extra money for a Trane unit.
Reading really is fun-duh-mental... If you'd tried it you'd know my INSURANCE PAID for it. Which is why I mentioned the power surge in duh first place..
I can see material differences in the two having owned both... But I could really care less what the OP buys. I was just trying to help.. I'm happy with my decision and my insurance co. obviously agrees (or they are 'trane-washed?'). But you know more than they do about all of this..?
My other home...new construction, came with a Gibson- that is a good brand as well. That would have been my second choice in Fla.
------------------------------ Re: Replacing my AC system - and my head is spinning Group: alt.home.repair Date: Mon, Jul 16, 2007, 11:44pm (EDT-1) From:
--
Where did I say it couldn\'t. I\'m just going by performance....
Then it was totally immaterial, so why throw it into the mix was my

Yes, they know insurance, I know HVAC, Dipshit!

And do you know 'for sure' there wasn't any installation/maintenance issues with the Janitrol? Since your not a tech, no you can't!
People need to get over the brand issue!
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

The difference in the quality of the install is the overriding factor; there is little difference in performance, stop the BS! Todays' Goodman AC equipment is NOT inferior to other AC equipment. The majority of AC brands use components made by the same companies. Setup an adequate number them under identical lab conditions & have their performance & longevity logged, then show me some real proofs! What are you going to say if Goodman equipment outperforms your favorite brand? http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_btuh_duct_sizing_air_conditioning_systems.html
- udarrell

Absolutely nothing!!!
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:49:21 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Match it according to ratings, or according to brand?
Are you saying that the inside and outside have to be the same brand?
Or that, however things are measured, like the coolant flow through the condensor has to be what the evaportator is rated for, and the indoor fan has to be rated for the evaporator, and hence for the condenser?

For newly installed parts, right? So you can still install just a condenser but not the evaporator, or vice versa. and whatever new thing is installed has to have new SEER rating, and has to match the ratings of the other half, but the other half doesn't have to be replaced, does it?

operating
proper
and
more
Do you like coming across a hack job?
I don't!
For that reason, I say no from time to time (I will not be a part of that industry).
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
<snip>

Air handler: a big metal box with a fan on one end. What obsolete technology might be involved that you are concerned about?

Those are primarily a function of the compressor/condenser and evaporator.

CJT wrote:

Exactly.
Pete C. wrote:

You got a lot of good replies! When there is a big difference in "equipment prices," don't downgrade Goodman equipment because the major components are made by the same companies & I have seen the various Goodman brands outlast by many years the big name brands.
The quality of the installation is the dominating factor that affects the performance & longevity of the high dollar components.
Listen to Edwin Pawlowski & others; First, Reduce the Heatload, then have a Manual J & S for equipment sizing, & manual D for ductwork sizing done. Do everything in the proper order; First & foremost - CORRECT AIRFLOW, & pay attention to proper sizing & sealing of the ductwork. http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_btuh_duct_sizing_air_conditioning_systems.html
- udarrell
"udarrell" wrote...

http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_btuh_duct_sizing_air_conditioning_systems.html
Darrell's got it right.
http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/publications/html/FSEC-PF-289-95/index.htm

year
That includes the evaporator coil, Dipshit!

Where's the evaporator, Einstein?
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

The evaporator might be located inside the air handler, but it's not part of the air handler.