Replacing Moen shower cartridge

I attempted to replace my 1222B shower cartridge this evening and hope someone here might be able to assist. When I tried to remove the cartridge using the cartridge wrench I got at a large home improvement store, the screw broke inside the cartridge and now I can't get it out. I've tried using a pair of pliers (like their picture says NOT to do) to try and loosen it up but I'm having no luck.
Short of calling a plumber, can anyone give me an idea of what to do next? I appreciate your help. ..Kevin

Moen is so helpful with these things that you'll think you died and went to heaven after you call them. Do it. I once had a problem with one of their faucets being damaged by debris coming through the pipes from a defective water heater. They replaced the cartridge for free, even though the cause had absolutely nothing to do with their product. If you call them, they'll probably replace your car, as well as your cartridge.
My local Ace Hardware store, which now doesn't exist, had a kit that they would loan out. It consisted of a tap and a small 1/4" dowel about an inch long. Once you pull out the center shaft in the cartridge, leaving a hole. You then run the tap into the hole. This puts thread on the inside of the hole. Next you remove the tap and put the dowel in the hole. You then run the tap into the hole again. This time it bottoms out on the dowel and as you tighten it, the cartrige is "magically" pushed out the the faucet assembly. This worked for me several times in my home and once at a friend's house.
Kevin Jayne wrote:

Brilliant!! cm