Replacing moen kitchen sink cartridge

I have a cartridge that appears to be bad. It leaks when on hot from the handle but not on cold.

How do you take the cartridge out? There is one screw on top, but whats after that.

Also, how do I make sure I get the exact same one to replace it.

Thanks,

C_kubie

Reply to
c_kubie

Like a Mormon's skull, once the screw's out, there's nothing inside.

Reply to
G Henslee

If you call Moen they will send you a replacement. (You are the original owner aren't you?!)

There will be directions with it, but it is mainly removing a clip. I have done three. A fourth simply wouldn't come out. Good luck.

Reply to
toller

Nope, not the original owner. Probably the 3rd or 4th owner

Reply to
c_kubie

Well then, you will have to choose between spending $8 at the store or lying to Moen.

Reply to
toller

If you can figure out how to get the cartridge out (as someone mentioned, you open up the faucet and then there is a clip that you need to remove and then you need to pull the cartridge out...be careful and take the obvious precautions [turn off water, etc...] or else you could damage the faucet), take the defective cartridge to a home depot and they should be able to provide the replacement cartridge onsite for free. That is what I usually do.

If you need instructions, check out the moen web site.

Reply to
GQ

Go to your BIGBOX store and purchase a Moen cartridge remover tool $15.00 . Remove the cartridge. Return the tool for a refund at the BIGBOX store. Now all you have to do match up the old cartridge with the new.

Reply to
Haas

Hopefully will have too much integrity to do that; but you could ask if they could lend you one. HD offered to lend me a basin wrench once.

Reply to
toller

First, buy the new cartridge. They sell two, a brass and a plastic. The only difference is the material and the price. Both work equally as well.

Included in the package is instruction. You will need an adjustable wrench of a proper sized open end wrench to turn the plastic cap also included.

Turn off the water, of course.

You use a flat blade of a screwdriver to slip out a holding lock device. just slide it out. Using the plastic cap, turn the cartridge (I forget if it is quarter or half turn) and pull it up and out. Replace the new one the opposite way. Note the orientation of the holes or it will reverse the hot and cold.

First time will take about 15 minutes. Having done it a couple of time, I can do it in five.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Most Moen faucets have a lifetime guarantee. Why buy the cardtridge when most HD will GIVE you replacement MOEN parts in exchange for the old one ? Even Reno Depot in Montreal (same as HD bigbox style store) has given me replacement cartridges for both Moen and Delta faucets (in exchange for the old ones) without giving me any hassles.

If you still can't figure out how to take it off, then call Moen's support number, they are usually pretty good at helping out on these matters. And if you are not in a rush, they will even send you the cartridge.

Reply to
MTLnews

I can confirm this from personal experience. In fact, any Moen dealer should be able to do this.

At Home Depots I've been to, they have a cabinet stocked with Moen replacement parts. Just take the old cartridge in and go directly to a plumbing associate and they will replace it for you.

It doesn't matter where the faucet itself was purchased.

Reply to
Calvin Henry-Cotnam