Replacing main water shut off valve

In that case the HOA will be owing money. Shutting off a public utility around here would take damn near an act of God. Even when you have not paid. Thats a pretty easy lawsuit.

Reply to
dnoyeB

Humans also give off Carbon Dioxide. Use them with adequate ventilition as well...

Reply to
dnoyeB

replying to ken, mrWrong wrote: I replaced my main shutoff valve last year by myself with no experience what so ever. I watched a few videos on YouTube, went to Home Depot and I told the worker there what I was trying to accomplish...he helped me find the tools and parts that was needed for the job, and voila! I saved money and learned a new skill...you can do it, it's not complicated at all.

Reply to
mrWrong

Sounds like a heck of a way to learn how to "sweat solder" for the first time. Maybe post a picture of your result?

Reply to
Bill

Mabee he used a shark-bite??

Reply to
clare

replying to ken, Jim Wertin wrote: You people are so misinformed. First a new ball valve costs $20 to $30 add in couplings, solder, flux, propane and the knowledge of how to sweat copper. Sure there are different types to fitting valve to line, shark bite, compression but i'd like to see a regular Joe homeowner do that job. I'm not a plumber but do remodeling and have done my share of plumbing. Not sure where you can buy a vale of any kind for $3 ???

Reply to
Jim Wertin

First off the price depends on alot of things . how much work needs to be done do you wabt abother sodered pipe or a shark bite . i just did this for a client and the material was 85 dollars all new sharkbite attachements and shut off valve . and a 2 foot copper pipe . i cut there old valve out and attached the shark bite valve ( no sodering needed ) charged the client 160 for that !!!! And thats low she got quoted 300 and 400 . it literally depends on the work being done bottom line . starting my truck dont cost money that a congractor scam same with material im out herebbooked 3 months in advance and i charge half the price of other contractors . yea it pisses other contractors off but i started this business to help homeowners stop being robbed by shitty contractors out here hiring illegals charging top rate price for garbage work . thats not fair or ok to the homeowner they shouldnt be robbed to fill your pockets. I make amazing money so do my workers and our work is flawless never failed a inspection . this business started to help people and someone where along the line scumbags got involved and changed things . BUT WE ARE HERE TO FIX THIS ISSUE YOU SHALL SEE THINGS WILL CHANGE VERY SHORTLY FOR THESE THEIVES . REAL CONTRACTORS ARE FOLLOWING US EVERYDAY AND HELPING HOMEOWNERS MORE AND MORE . THE REAL CONTRACTORS DID NOT GET AFFECTED BY THE PANDEMIC AT ALL . THE ONLY ONES ARE THE THEIVES BECAUSE LIKE I SAID THE MORE WE SHOW HOMEOWNERS THERE ARE REAL CONTRACTORS OUT THERE WHO DONT WANT TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOU .

Reply to
CraftsmanshipKing

On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 16:45:02 +0000, CraftsmanshipKing posted for all of us to digest...

[...]

Sharkbites says it all

Reply to
Tekkie©

They'll do as a temp repair until you can get a real plumber out .

Reply to
Snag

Maybe you should learn how to solder?

Or use Propress?  You can get a crimper for $110

Gundy

That reminds me of that old saying "There's nothing more permanent than temporary".

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

For some applications the sharkbite is just fine - and ALWAYS better than a poor solder job!!! I've only used a few - but in spots where soldering PROPERLY would have been a REAL problem. I alsotried that copper only crap - supposed to permanently "glue" copper pipes together. THAT was a DISASTER. I'll take a sharkbite over that crap any day of the week and 10 times on Sunday.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I agree with Tom, you don’t sound like a cheapskate, you sound like a reasonable person who could watch a couple of you tube videos if you’re not quite sure how to do it and then do the job yourself. Most things like that can be done by the homeowner where it costs for parts and your time. I’m a single woman and even I can do a lot of home repairs especially when you can find a you tube video with step by step instruction. Dianne

Reply to
Smalldog

This post is 15 years old, the homeowner's expectation that you can get a plumber out to do a job like this for $75 sure isn't true around here, NJ, anymore. Auto repair shops are billing $100+ an hour for labor, dealerships $120+ and that's where you come to them, there is no truck overhead, driving time, etc. It's impossible to evaluate this job without any information. Like is there a union near the valve? That alone makes a big difference in the time it will take. The fact that this went unstated 15 years ago suggests the poster didn't have the understanding of what goes into this. If you can't or don't want to do the job and you get a quote you think is high, call another plumber or two for quotes. You could also get a handyman type to do it, if you can find a qualified one.

Reply to
trader_4