replacing light with outlet

I'm replacing my bathroom light fixture from one with an outlet to one with no outlet. There are four wires coming out of the wall to the light. Two sets of black and white. The white ones are connected to each other and nothing else. One black wire is connected to two white wires (one to the outlet and one to the light. The other black wire is connected to two black wires (one to the light and one to the outlet). How do I wire a new light that only requires one white and one black?

Reply to
curve31

You connect the light to the same two wires as the old light was connected to

Reply to
RBM

What do I do with the wires going to the outlet on the old light?

Reply to
curve31

You've got me confused. You have four wires coming out of the wall. Two whites spliced together and not connected to anything. Two blacks, one which connects to the white wires of both existing outlet and existing light. The other black connects to the black wires of the existing outlet and the existing light. When you get the new fixture, you won't have a black and white from an outlet that you no longer have.

Reply to
RBM

Basically, I only know what to do with 2 of the 4 wires coming out of the wall. What do I do with the other 2? Or can I connect the 2 white ones to each other and the 2 black ones to each other?

Reply to
curve31

You leave them the way they were. The two whites were spliced together and not connected to anything. Leave them alone. Push them back into the box. You only need to connect the two black wires to the new light. One to the white wire of the new light and one to the black wire of the new light. The problem is that they are not marked as to which is neutral and which is hot. That's why I said to connect them the same way as they were before.

Reply to
RBM

OK, I get it. Thanks! I'll let you know how it turns out :)

Reply to
curve31

Please, turn off power before you do this.

Reply to
RBM

Take a tester and find out which black is hot all the time and which one works off the switch.

The black that is hot all the time can be capped off.

Tie the new light white to whites and black to the remaining black.

Reply to
Terry

Read the original post. The two whites are capped and not attached to anything. One black is hot and one is neutral. There is a feed and switch leg in the box.

Reply to
RBM

Thanks RBM, the new light is up and running!

Reply to
curve31

Congrats, you're hired!!!

Reply to