Replacing kitchen sink

Hi all,

I'm replacing a kitchen sink, but I'm not sure about the metal strip that's between the sink and formica countertop. The sink is steel and about 10 years old, and the reason I'm replacing it is because the metal piece around the drain where pipe screws into is loose causing water to leak under sink. Plus with 10 years of nicks and dings it's time to get something new.

So - will this metal piece be included with a new sink? It looks like it's cut exactly the size of the sink and I see no seams. Also what special do I do to hold the sink down? I looked underneath it but I don't see any clamps or screws holding it down.

Thanks for any suggestions on this... I'm replacing the sink tomorrow (Sunday), so I'll post updates when I start with some pics.

Thanks again --

Alex

Reply to
Alex

===> That's too bad; we've got a 50+ year old kitchen sink and I guess they knew how to make them back then. It's big, functional, and unavailable in any form even close to it. But, that aint' what you asked about - sorry, guess I'm proud of it! Please read on:

===> Yes, maybe, and maybe not. It -should- be included with the sink. Sometimes they are sold separately. And sometimes they sinks don't need them or aren't designed to use them. Be sure to ask when you buy, if the rim is important to you (or the lil lady). It looks like

===> The seam is probably midline in the very backside of the sink. At least I've never seen one without a seam, but it's surely possible.

Also what

===> Depends on the sink design you choose to replace it. Sometimes it's a part of that ring you refer to, and other times it's little clamps underneath, that fit on sort of like the clips that hold storms into aluminum storm doors. These clips are the most common, I think. I've seen a lot of sinks without hold-downs, but I've no idea whether that's how they were intended or not. There aren't any on our kitchen sink. Anyone can move that sink, more power to 'em! It must weigh 300 pounds or more!

I looked underneath it but I

Good luck!

Pop

Reply to
Pop

The real issues here are two:

1 - How big the existing cut out is

2 - What shape the countertop is in the area currently covered up by the sink where it's resting on the countertop. By this, I mean if it's in good shape, then the only limitation is the hole cutout. If for some reason the countertop under the existin lip doesn't look good and would show if the new sink lip is smaller, then that becomes a limitation.

You should be able to find online documents/drawings for any of the sinks you are interested in that will show the dimensions of the new sink.

The new sink will come with whatever is needed to install it. The ones I've worked with have been all one piece. Generally, a light sink, like stainless steel, will have clamps that secure it from the bottom. A heavy cast iron sink will not, they just rely on the weight plus caulk to hold it in place.

Reply to
trader4