Replacing inwall cable wire

I am wanting to replace the old cable wiring that is in our 10 year home with rg-6 cable (now recommended). Does anyone know the easiest way to do this? Would ot be possible to connect the new rg-6 to the old cable at the outlet area and then go to the attic and pull the old cable through the wall with the rg-6 connected?

Also is there now something better than rg-6 for cable/satellite tv?

Any help would be apprecated.

Reply to
Who Cares

It really depends on how it was put in. You might be able to use the existing cable to pull the new.

Your questions does reinforce the suggestion that new homes include conduits for all such wiring.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Two things. First, go with the RG6 Quad Shield. Second, if the current cable was installed when the home was built, it was probably stapled to the stud, so you won't be able to pull it. And, you may have spots where it is run thru the walls instead of all from the topcaps, unless you have already verified that.

I assume you have verified you do not have RG6 already? My home is 9 years old, and the existing cable is RG6.

Now, shameless plug, I am in Wylie, TX (Dallas area) and do that kind of stuff for a living, if you are interested. Feel free to contact me with questions if you want.

Maury CMF Enterprises Wylie, TX

Reply to
MF

Better cable, yes, but not as easy to work with for home use. RG-6 will be adequate for the runs you will find inside a house, as long as TV is all you want.

However, consider pulling a composite cable that is both quad shielded RG-6 and Cat5e twisted pair. You can find a jacketed cable that is a combo of two RG6Q and two 4-pair (16 conductor) Cat5e cables. That will give you a telephone outlet and high bandwidth network connection every place you pull cable, plus the ability to install intercoms, automated house control systems or run high impedance audio signals to remote locations.

It takes a little planning. You want your TV distribution amplifiers, telephone terminal block, network hub and audio distribution amplifier set up at a common hub. That may require changing your cable layout.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell