Replacing ice maker unit ? ? ?

The ice-maker on my Amana refrigerator, about 5 years old, seems to be malfunctioning -- basically, putting out water into the ice bin so that it freezes and stops the worm from dispensing ice.

My question is, do I dare try to replace the ice-maker myself, or is that something I should leave to the experts?

I don't have a service manual.

Reply to
Ray

You don't need one, it should be pretty easy. Replaced mine for the same reason about 6 months ago. Small wonder it wasn't working right, when I watched the old one go through a cycle it was arcing and sparking inside. Kept overfilling the tray.

You can order a new icemaker off the internet, or just get one at a local appliance parts store. All you should need to identify the correct part is the model number of your refrigerator.

Replacement is pretty much an in-and-out job. Should be 2 or 3 screws holding the icemaker to the wall of the freezer - remove them. Pull the electrical connector and remove the icemaker. Reverse the procedure to install the new one. You might have to use the sensing arm from the old unit if they didn't give you one with the replacement unit.

Google "icemaker replacement", you should find links to places to order an icemaker, and sites with how-to pictures.

Hope this helps, Jerry

Reply to
jerry_maple

Not really very hard to do. Check out

and
for instructions and you can order the part from them or local. IIRC, it was about 30 minutes.

The new one did not start right away. It took a little while for the cycle to get in sync and fill.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It does indeed help, Jerry. Many thanks.

Reply to
Ray

Will look at those sites. Thanks.

Reply to
Ray

buy the kit that incluses the solenoid valve, if you dont need it now you will someday, and its far cheaper to buy the complete unit

Reply to
hallerb

All you need to do is re-aim the filler tube. My Mother in law's did that because the tube at the back was getting out of place and splashing water in the tray when it filled.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT