Replacing hot water shut off valve

This is smiliar to the question I asked previously, and I need a bit more help/clarification.

I need to replace the cartridge in the kitchen faucet (with sprayer wand), and cannot shut off the hot water using the shut off value (I'll call this value #1) underneath in the cabinet. I suspect the valve kicked the bucket after ~6.5 years.

There is a shutoff value (#2) in the basement leading up to the kitchen sink area for hot water, but that valve doesn't work either. So, it looks like my only choice is to turn off the water going _into_ the water heater (there is a different style shut off value, #3, just before the water heater, and I'm hoping that still works) and use up the hot water by draining it thru a faucet somewhere. Then, replace shut off values #1 & #2 and the faucet cartridge.)

Do I have this right? I'll basically be draining the water heater completely to do this work, and turn it back on and fill the water heater again, wait for it to be heated, before I get any new hot water.

Also, both values #1 and #2 have screws in the middle. Is this the type that nees sealing tape?

Sorry if my questions are too basic. I'll have to this work late at night, and won't have time to run back and forth to the hardware store (and make sure I have hot water for the morning).

Thanks.

Reply to
FGreen

If the shutoff valve for the heater *does* work, you only need to drain a small amount of water to relieve the pressure in the tank- maybe a bucketful at the most.

You can drain from a Hot faucet in the basement or even from the drain valve at the bottom of the heater. You may want to turn off the gas or electric to the heater until you refill it.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Why not just shut off your main water valve? Odds are it is a better quality than the ones that have failed and stands a better chance of working. Draining the water heater half a pail, maybe, will free the line for repair. Note your pipe size !/2" most likely, and buy some nice new quarter turn valves. Do the obvious about learning the right techniques for the type of pipe you're working on (copper, CPVC, whatever) and practice on some scrap if you aren't sure of your skills. It will be a snap the second time. Make sure you have the right tools assembled, tubing cutter, solder, torch, flux, steel wool, yadda yadda. And check a few of the other valves around the homestead before trouble develops. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

You do NOT need to drain the hot water heater completely to effect this repair. You can stop the flow of hot water by either shutting off a hot water valve before the faucet in question, or you can shut off the cold water valve that feeds the hot water heater. In either case, all you need to do is drain the water in the line that you are working on, not the entire hot water heater. If none of these valves are in working order, you can try the main shutoff valve to your house instead.

Reply to
jimleong

Thank you both for replies.

So, it sounds like as long as the water into the heater is shut off (using any of the shut off values before the heater), I can use the kitchen faucet (or any faucet) to drain maybe a bucket full of hot water to clear the line? Then I don't have to turn off the elec/gas since it'll be just 15 minutes or so.

I should replace the shut off values at the same time, but it looks like I'll have to do that another time (I know it doesn't make sense, but I have a very small window of opportunity right now, and not time to collect tools I don't have or practice. The whistling noise is killing my family.).

Something about plumbing makes me gun shy. I am not afraid of water. Just the water in the house.

Thanks again.

Reply to
FGreen

All of the other suggestions are good.

Once you shut off the water where ever it can be stopped. I would start looking into replacing/repairing all of the valves. Do it now so that is does not catch you by surprise later. I prefer ball valves to gate valves, ( you have gate valves). If you do not want to replace the valve you can always visit a decent hardware store (before you start) verify that they carry the stems for your valves. Then on the fateful day, just kidding, pull the stems, and take them to the store and buy new. Use Teflon tape and reinstall. If the body of the valve is ok, your good to go.

I usually make 4-6 trips when I do plumbing. Not my forte. Best wishes. It ain't that hard.

Reply to
SQLit

be sure to turn off the hot water heater before doing the job. That is a must.

Reply to
clevere

Can you explain to me why?

I'll be turning off the water into the heater for 20 minutes max. I understand that the amount of the water in the heat will be less than normal, perhaps 3/4, and the water coming out after the fix will be hotter, I'm not clear why it is a must. Safety issue at the heater? Hot water temp. issue at the faucet/shower?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
FGreen

You'll only need to drain a small amount of water. You should have about

90-95% left in the tank. Still it is almost no effort to turn your heater dial to PILOT. This will leave the pilot on, but stop the burner from coming on. When you're done, just turn the knob back to ON.
Reply to
Marilyn and Bob