Replacing hose bib - How tight is tight?

I recently replaced a hose bib valve for my washing machine. Rather then screw around with corroding stems and washers for the old one in bad shape, I just installed a ball valve (quarter turn) bib. The whole valve screws into a threaded elbow on the wall. I wrapped the threads 2 times with teflon tape and installed it.
The problem I had was that with the handle pointing up and the outlet pointing down, it was just barely tight enough to require a wrench. I attempted to tighten it more, but after just a 1/2 turn, it was threatening to be overtightened. I backed off the 1/2 turn, but when I turned on the water there was a tiny leak.
So what do you do when a valve needs to be installed so it is oriented with the handle up, but it also needs to be tight? I ended up replacing the teflon tape with more of it. (I think 3 1/2 times wrapped around) and there were no leaks. But is that the right thing to do?
Thanks.
That is the most reasonable answer. If it doesn't leak, it doesn't leak. Problem solved..

I had occasion to watch "pros" install some gas piping for a furnace. They used pipe "dope" and really reefed on the connections to tighten them - they really worked at it. Far tighter than I would have done previously.
Bob
Jay Steiner wrote:

Jay Steiner wrote:

I use ~4 to 5 wraps & tighten until the handle is where I want it.
Never loosen to get the handle where you want it....nearly always results in a leak.
More wraps given you more teflon to "mush" out of the way, so you have more turns passed "tight" to work with.
cheers Bob