Replacing Gutter on Slate Roof

My old farmhouse has a slate roof and currently has galvenized, half-round gutters that sit in a steel support brackets/"shanks" that were mounted under the slate back when the slate roof was installed about 75 years ago. Picture a thin piece of metal protruding along the line of the roof from below the slates, and then it dips into a half-round shape once it clears the roofline in front of the facia board where the metal gutter rests. These galvenized gutters work well, but they tend to rust out every 7 or 8 years which is a pain. I am thinking of putting half-round copper gutters in place of them, but I don't think I can use the same steel support "shanks" that are currently being used due to the interaction of the metals when I introduce copper gutters. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to install new gutter support "shanks" under slates or if it is even possible?
Rob NE PA
- Rob Gray -

board
thinking
think
used
- Nehmo - Cut off the old shanks. Support the new gutters by attaching the supports to the fascia board. You don't need to go under the slate with certain kinds of supports. This place has some pics: http://slateandcopper.com/BB_half_round_copper_gutter_hangers.htm I like the seahorse:
http://slateandcopper.com/Majewski/new%20products/cast%20copper%20sea%20horse%20gutter%20bracket.jpg
You realize, of course, Cu will turn green. Make sure you look at some old Cu gutters to see if that's what you really want.
--
* Nehmo Sergheyev *