Replacing Grout on bathroom walls

Whats the best way to get this grout out from the batroom wall tiles, 1/8 joints and smaller in the other bathroom

Got a Dremel tool? They make a tip specifically for that purpose. Check www.dremel.com to get the model number for the tip, so some teenager at the store doesn't try and give you the wrong thing. You'll also need a breather mask, safety goggles, and a 6-pack to complete the job. Maybe earplugs, unless you're already deaf from years of loud music.

be sure to use sealer in the replacement grout. mix 1/2 sealer and 1/2 water when you mix the grout.

Right - just mix any sealer with water when mixing grout. And then see what kind of mess you end up with.
Maybe first you should ask the grout and sealer manufacturers if they think this is a good idea.
Bob

ROFL! Careful with bottle, Eugene.

it's not exactly a secret.
peace dude

Anyone else ever hear of this?
Bob

Read slower, Bob. A lot slower.

Jim

Color Tile, we told customers to mix the sealer with the grout but we knew which products the customers were buying. When I retiled my bathroom the tile manager at HomeDepot said he does (mix the sealer in) but HD instructs them to tell the customers to follow the products instructions only. No doubt due to lawsuits. If you contact the grout or sealer mfg I would suspect they would tell you the same.
OTOH: I always mix the sealer in and the results are great. But I'm a brave soul!
Jim

What is the point of this? How does it affect the grout performance and life? Where is it documented?
Bob

at Color Tile and talking to people in the business. In theory it makes the tile easier to keep clean and keeps you from having to redo your sealer. When I look for sealer I get a water base sealer. (which I should of mentioned too) I wouldn't try oil based. After you posted your response I went and checked my last grout job. I tried to chip it and it held up (see you made me doubt my advice) BTW: Thanks for chiming in. It is irresponsible to tell people to mix chemicals w/o knowing what they are mixing. I always assume I'm talking to people that would back my claims up with a little research of their own, and we all know about assumptions. All of my posts should read "marginal advice, proceed at your own risk, IMO, YMMV etc...."
Of course, this is assuming also, the OP was using standard cement grout. Not an epoxy grout or some special blend with hardeners in it.
If I was in doubt, "I" would try mixing a small batch to see how it hardens. But I've used several brands of water based sealer and the results have always been the same. Usually, I get the middle of road priced sealer at HD.
All ng advice is marginal IMO.
From now on I'm following HD's advice and tell people to stick to the mfg. directions. It's not worth the risk.
Sorry for the confusion.
Jim
There is also a tool called a "grout saw," especially for this purpose. Has little bits of what look like Carborundum or tungsten carbide on the edge, with a small handle. If you slip with the Dremel tool, you can easily damage the tile. The grout saw is pretty quick. Any "big box" store, or a tile supply house. Forgot where I picked mine up.

Homedepot has a grout saw where you can replace the blade when it wears out.
Sort of depends on how much you have to pull out. My son re-did a bathroom in a '50s vintage house using a Dremel, and a grout saw. Real PITA job, no matter how you go about it.
Here is a link...
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/groutremoveeztoo
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

they had only 1/8", which was a tad small in spots. It has a guide attachment to keep you on the straight and narrow and works pretty quickly. Need to be careful if the tiles aren't evenly spaced, as too tight fit is likely to chip tile.
http://www.dremel.com/en-US/attachments-and-accessories/attachment-accessory-detail.htm?H8549&Gf357&If361
Thanks for the replies, im just going to change the color of the white grout with a darker color that matchews the tile