Replacing gate-valve with ball-valve trouble.

I am trying to replace a stuck gate valve that does not close, probably due to hard water. From the gate valve are pipes that runs three feet in both direction from the well pumping tank and into the concrete floor. Someone had connected the gate valve onto the pipe before setting the concrete. In order to remove the valve I would have to twist a pipe. Their seems to be no way to twist the pipes. What's a practical way to remove the gate valve and install a ball valve in in cases like this?

Thanks

Reply to
Leroy Mowry

Hi, I'd cut and splice. Much quicker. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

  1. Saw through the pipe downstream of the valve.
  2. Unscrew the valve from the other pipe.
  3. Unscrew the cut pipe from the nearest fitting.
  4. Reassemble with your new valve, two short sections of pipe, and a union.
Reply to
Doug Miller

sounds like the simplest job is just to leave the gate valve since it will stay at full open then just put the ball valve further upstream. Just leave it there it is doing no harm. Without a picture it is hard to offer advice

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

When I have a gate valve that's too hard to get to I usually just rebuild it. Put in a new washer and replace the crappy copper screw that holds it in with stainless steel.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

Yep. If you can't cut and then remove both ends and refit with the new valve (you might have to insert a union) you can either rethread the cut ends or use a 'Dressler' couplings (not sure of spelling but any plumber will recognize that). They fit loosely over the pipe and have two screw caps that tighten down gaskets for sealing.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

"Leroy Mowry"

I saw you got a lot of advice, but the guy who explained about using a union with a new ball valve was correct (and this is written from the plumbing newsgroup). Since you didn't know about threaded unions, you might need to get some help on this. It's not as easy as it sounds.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Grooms

What kind of pipe?

Reply to
Dan Hall

just

screw

As far as I know, gate valves don't have washers or screws to hold them.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

doug gave correct answer. Dont listen to the others.

Reply to
Ned Flanders

dont need union though. replace with copper. use a slip coupling if you can't get pipe ends together; which is likely if there is only 3 feet of pipe exposed. your well tank that is on the other side possibly can be moved enough to allow a coupling.

it just dawned on me though that there should NOT be a valve there. the valve needs to be on the other side of the well tank/pressure switch.

Reply to
Ned Flanders

Yep- I agree with that. -Dan

Reply to
Dan Hall

Just leave the gate valve where it is in the full-open position, and install the ball valve just downstream of the gate valve.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Reply to
jhill

The gate valve maybe able to be "rehabed" Take it apart (remove the top section, handle and bonnet packing nut) replace the packing, clean the stem and gate with some emory paper and clean the scale out of the gate ways. Lube and re-assemble. Good as new! (and a whole lot easier)

Reply to
Inspector D