Replacing Galvinized Pipes with C-PVC Pipe?

Page 1 of 2

Hi, my house has a leak in the hot water pipe going to the 2nd floor bath tub. A plumber fixed the leak then the pipe started leaking in another spot. The plumber wants to replace all the pipes in the bathroom with C-PVC pipes. He told he's been using C-PVC for years w/o problems. He further states copper is way too expensive these days. Want do you think?
Thanks
Hi, my house has a leak in the hot water pipe going to the 2nd floor bath tub. A plumber fixed the leak then the pipe started leaking in another spot. The plumber wants to replace all the pipes in the bathroom with C-PVC pipes. He told he's been using C-PVC for years w/o problems. He further states copper is way too expensive these days. Want do you think?
Thanks

he wants to make more money, PEX is way cheaper and easier to work with, just replace all the galavanized in your home.
C PVC has joints, more chances of leaks and takes longer to install$$$: (
he wants to make more money, PEX is way cheaper and easier to work with, just replace all the galavanized in your home.
C PVC has joints, more chances of leaks and takes longer to install$$$:
What is PEX? a flexible pipe?
I think go with the cpvc. Pex is just cheap assed builder grade plumbing. It would be cheaper probably though if your pinched.

On Aug 5, 5:40am, "Steve Barker DLT"

.
Price on it must have changed. Back when it first came out is was not cheap. Another disadvantage is that it is not a 'homeowner' fixer if you need to change it or fix a leak without investing in a very expensive tool.
Harry K

If you're talking about PEX, it can easily be worked on by anybody. There are fittings that require no tools to install. I like the Sharkbite fittings, as posted already, but Watts also makes them.
Harry K wrote:

You can rent crimping tool from Lowe or HD at reasonale cost.
Steve Barker DLT wrote:

Not so. New generation PEX is very reliable and easy to work with. It's proven heating golf course grass underground and in new residential houses.

CPVC will be fine as a replacement for the galvanized. There are other options, but for the vast majority of circumstances, your plumber is picking the right one. However, if it were my house I would insist that the entire system be repiped now. Make whatever sheetrock or other finish repairs necessary and just get it over with. When galvanized piping starts going bad in one area it's just a matter of time before the entire system is failing. You could be doing odd and end repairs for the next several years spending way more money and dealing with damages and headaches beyond whatever it might take now to just remedy the problem. Yes, it costs more now. But it will save you untold future problems.
Bob Wheatley

The basement, including bathroom, is all copper. After the upstairs bathroom is finished the only galvinized is going to the kitchen, which I'll take care of later.

CPVC ok just not PVC , A hint, get foam pipe insulation the one that has glued edges and the plastic tape that is removed to seal the insulation, not HD stuff. Copper transmits and looses heat CPVC will save you money in less heat loss also be sure to insulate the pipe. Be sure he sands, primes all joints.
Both the copper and newer plastic pipes work quite well. Builders use the plastic stuff because it's so easy to install that even a Mexican can do it. If you use copper, please insulate the hot water pipes. Personally, I use copper because that's what my house was made with and I don't want a mix of copper and plastic. Copper is more expensive yes.

He said the cost of copper has gone up x4 over the past couple of years. I'll be removing galvinized and replacing w/ C-PVC. I don't plan to be in the house more than 5 years.
If you go with PEX be sure to have your plumber do a home run (also know as the "star" configuration) from your source, for each fixture with no "TEEs" inside the walls. The old way of "daisy-chaining" leaves too many fittings inside the walls and can reduce pressure when multiple fixtures are using water at the same time.

Is that an aesthetic decision or is there another reason you don't want to mix the two?
CPVC ok just not PVC , A hint, get foam pipe insulation the one that has glued edges and the plastic tape that is removed to seal the insulation, not HD stuff. Copper transmits and looses heat CPVC will save you money in less heat loss also be sure to insulate the pipe. Be sure he sands, primes all joints.
The plumber came from Angies List and he has an award rating there. I'll inquire intot the sanding and priming all joints.

What is the reward rating for , not being drunk and wearing pants that show butt crack?
wrote in message What is the reward rating for , not being drunk and wearing pants that show butt crack?
Check out Angies List and see for yourself.
Butt crack? he said it was $5.00 extra to display buttcrack.
ransley wrote:

Hint #2: Forget the pipe insulation with glued edges, yak, yak, yak. Find a toy called "Pool Noodle" at Walmart.