Replacing Galvinized Pipes with C-PVC Pipe?

Hi, my house has a leak in the hot water pipe going to the 2nd floor bath tub. A plumber fixed the leak then the pipe started leaking in another spot. The plumber wants to replace all the pipes in the bathroom with C-PVC pipes. He told he's been using C-PVC for years w/o problems. He further states copper is way too expensive these days. Want do you think?

Thanks

Reply to
Tom

Hi, my house has a leak in the hot water pipe going to the 2nd floor bath tub. A plumber fixed the leak then the pipe started leaking in another spot. The plumber wants to replace all the pipes in the bathroom with C-PVC pipes. He told he's been using C-PVC for years w/o problems. He further states copper is way too expensive these days. Want do you think?

Thanks

Reply to
Tom

he wants to make more money, PEX is way cheaper and easier to work with, just replace all the galavanized in your home.

C PVC has joints, more chances of leaks and takes longer to install$$$: (

Reply to
hallerb

he wants to make more money, PEX is way cheaper and easier to work with, just replace all the galavanized in your home.

C PVC has joints, more chances of leaks and takes longer to install$$$:

What is PEX? a flexible pipe?

Reply to
Tom

I think go with the cpvc. Pex is just cheap assed builder grade plumbing. It would be cheaper probably though if your pinched.

Steve Barker DLT

CPVC ok just not PVC , A hint, get foam pipe insulation the one that has glued edges and the plastic tape that is removed to seal the insulation, not HD stuff. Copper transmits and looses heat CPVC will save you money in less heat loss also be sure to insulate the pipe. Be sure he sands, primes all joints.

Reply to
ransley

that's what I did 25 years ago and no problems.

Reply to
Bob

Both the copper and newer plastic pipes work quite well. Builders use the plastic stuff because it's so easy to install that even a Mexican can do it. If you use copper, please insulate the hot water pipes. Personally, I use copper because that's what my house was made with and I don't want a mix of copper and plastic. Copper is more expensive yes.

Reply to
zzyzzx

CPVC ok just not PVC , A hint, get foam pipe insulation the one that has glued edges and the plastic tape that is removed to seal the insulation, not HD stuff. Copper transmits and looses heat CPVC will save you money in less heat loss also be sure to insulate the pipe. Be sure he sands, primes all joints.

The plumber came from Angies List and he has an award rating there. I'll inquire intot the sanding and priming all joints.

Reply to
Tom

He said the cost of copper has gone up x4 over the past couple of years. I'll be removing galvinized and replacing w/ C-PVC. I don't plan to be in the house more than 5 years.

Reply to
Tom

25 years? great.
Reply to
Tom

CPVC will be fine as a replacement for the galvanized. There are other options, but for the vast majority of circumstances, your plumber is picking the right one. However, if it were my house I would insist that the entire system be repiped now. Make whatever sheetrock or other finish repairs necessary and just get it over with. When galvanized piping starts going bad in one area it's just a matter of time before the entire system is failing. You could be doing odd and end repairs for the next several years spending way more money and dealing with damages and headaches beyond whatever it might take now to just remedy the problem. Yes, it costs more now. But it will save you untold future problems.

Bob Wheatley

Reply to
Bob Wheatley

Same here but it has been a bit longer. One advantage of cpvc over copper is the ease of making changes/additions. A hacksaw (or tubing cutter), a bottle of glue, a bottle of cleaner/solvent and few cheap fittings will get a new run installed in minutes.

Odd that he didnt' suggest PEX. That stuff is more expensive than cpvc but is flexible to make runs through walls.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Price on it must have changed. Back when it first came out is was not cheap. Another disadvantage is that it is not a 'homeowner' fixer if you need to change it or fix a leak without investing in a very expensive tool.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

What is the reward rating for , not being drunk and wearing pants that show butt crack?

Reply to
ransley

I read all about the different pipes available and decided to go with CPVC myself. It is good stuff!

Reply to
Bill

If you're talking about PEX, it can easily be worked on by anybody. There are fittings that require no tools to install. I like the Sharkbite fittings, as posted already, but Watts also makes them.

RicodJour

Is that an aesthetic decision or is there another reason you don't want to mix the two?

RicodJour

Hi Tom,

My in-laws had galvanized pipe in their house also. They asked me to fix a leaky faucet one day. I thought it was a seal or something, but when I unscrewed the valve the whole faucet housing cracked away. So, I tried unbolting the faucet but the rusted pipe in the wall broke away instead. That meant replacing the pipe in the wall. When I tried to unthread the pipe in the basement, the fitting crumbled away. So, I tried to unscrew the next segment of pipe and it literally split lengthwise down the full length of the pipe! Even when I got back to a solid piece of pipe it had so much corrosion inside there was only a small 1/16 inch hole in the middle. Since half the pipe in the house had fallen apart in my hands and the other half was clogged with corrosion, I just replumbed the entire house with CPVC.

Go with the CPVC. I've been using it for years for a variety of projects and have never had a problem with it. I used it to plumb our entire house, as well as replumbing my in-laws house. It won't corrode the way galvanized does.

Copper is expensive these days, and it takes a bit of skill to sweat the joints properly. And there's always a small risk of accidently starting a fire with the torch. Copper can also develop pinhole leaks with acidic water.

PEX is becoming more popular but it usually requires special tools to install and isn't as widely available. Any mom and pop hardware store carries CPVC which will be important the next time you need to make a repair or addition late at night or on a weekend. Last I checked, PEX was one of the pricier options too.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Hi, Not so. New generation PEX is very reliable and easy to work with. It's proven heating golf course grass underground and in new residential houses.

Reply to
Tony Hwang